UKC

Paramo clothing or similar for cycling?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Timmd 04 Oct 2010
Yesterday when working hard in the rain and damp air, I think I ended up as wet inside my waterproofs as I might have without wearing them (though perhaps warmer while I was moving). Has anybody tried Paramo clothing or something similar and how did they find it performed?

Thanks,
Tim
 steev 04 Oct 2010
In reply to Timmd:

Not tried Paramo, but have tried cycling in my Vapour Rise which is similar in thickness. I was way too hot.

These days unless it's seriously dead-of-winter I go for light pertex top over a thermal or cycling top and carry something warm with me if I think there'll be long stops.
OP Timmd 04 Oct 2010
In reply to steev:

Right, yesterday it was either heavy drizzle or torrential rain, with 18mm falling where we were, so i'm after clothing which will still let my moisture out in those sorts of conditions, which won't be too hot in fairly mild conditions. Perhaps i'm after the holy grail of outdoor clothing and won't find it.

I had a merino t-shirt under my E-vent jacket, and my t-shirt was wet through and my jacket was wet on the inside, and my quick drying trousers were also wet through under my waterproof trousers.

It was unusually wet though.

Cheers
Tim
 steev 04 Oct 2010
In reply to Timmd:

When the air is that moist, there's not much difference in humidity inside or outside your coat, so it's much harder to shift any sweat out. I'm guessing you ARE after the holy grail.

I'd guess that paramo stuff would keep you drier, but I think I'd personally be too warm (based on similar garments).
 David Hooper 04 Oct 2010
In reply to Timmd: Ive worn my Velez for cycling when it is cold and wet and it is fine - WARM and wet - not really
 sharpie530 04 Oct 2010
In reply to Timmd:

I often use my paramo velez for biking, if its hot I undo the zips. On grim days from autumn through to spring it is brilliant over just a base layer. Even on days when it is just cold I is still my favourite biking jacket as it breaths well and is not plasticy like a lot of jackets. The only downside I find with mine is that the arms are a bit short because I grew out of it!

If its not particularly cold but a bit damp I where a pertex smock, and just get used to being wet for a bit!

If I had to choose a jacket that I had to have for all year round though, it would definitely be the paramo!
 Frank4short 04 Oct 2010
In reply to Timmd: Lycra is the answer to your problems you may not like the idea but there is a reason why, other than aerodynamics, that it's the favoured clothing of choice for cycling in. That & a light jacket for when it gets really wet. Waterproof trousers are a waste of time for pretty much anything other than commuting or when it's really cold.
 jam 05 Oct 2010
When in wet, cool weather I've had good results with a Marmot Driclime jacket treated with Nixwax waterproofer. I've been dry (very slightly damp but no wet spots on the wicking shirt under the Driclime) after 20-30 minutes of heavy downpour. One caveat to this is that I don't sweat much anyway.
kev_Gray 05 Oct 2010
In reply to Timmd: I myself use a Paramo fuera peak jacket. Keep it in my commute bag so that when it rains I can grab it and it keeps me mostly dry. I have found it needs a bit of waterproof spray every so often around the arms. Guess its just as they are so exposed it does slowly seep through in heavy storms! The jacket itself keeps me cool though even when I would be sweating in any other type of waterproof.
 blurty 05 Oct 2010
One caveat to this is that I don't sweat much anyway.

.... for a fat lad?
 ebygomm 05 Oct 2010
In reply to Timmd: I've seen paramo recommended by others for cycling but I think it'd be way to hot the majority of the year in the UK and I'm a bit nesh and feel the cold.
 bryntwrog 05 Oct 2010
In reply to Timmd:

In really wet conditions I wear my Paramo Velez Adventure over a base layer. I have also ridden in my Cascada Trousers, especially when leading groups of less experienced and young riders when there tend to be lots of stops.

It can get a little warm, and you can end up damp, but because the Paramo moves water not just vapour you dry out again. The loose sleeves on the Velez mean you can push them up and get cooling through your arms, and the venting zips work well for me.

(I have to admit to being a real Paramo fan though. Much more comfortable than the standard breathable crisp packet jackets!! )
Removed User 05 Oct 2010
In reply to Timmd: I have found in cold weather that my Montane Scarab is very good (think vapour rise but with less insulation).

You can pull the front zip down for instant venting direct to bare chest when needed and it will turn a shower.
andrew whincup 05 Oct 2010
In reply to Removed User: I go for the Montane velocity. Through most of the winter I wear it over a base layer & lightweight jersey (for modesty when on the train) with bib 3/4 tights. Unless I'm standing round too long at the station at 7 o'clock it's fine.

as someone else said, there's a reason for lycra: it stays out of the way, dries quickly & doesn't flap around when it's wet.

Andy
Removed User 05 Oct 2010
In reply to andrew whincup: Yup tights all the way.
 Piers 05 Oct 2010
In reply to Timmd:

Me and my mate cycled round Ireland for 7 days and it rained every single day non-stop. He had a Paramo garment on (I cant remember what model - it was the orange pull over with a big chest pocket and side vents) and he said it was brilliant!

We cycled quite hard and while I was in my boil-in-the-bag type waterproof and I was just as wet inside as I was out whereas he was dry as a bone! So i spent the rest of the trip being very jealous of his Paramo.

So i'm going to buy one I think!!
 wilkesley 05 Oct 2010
In reply to Timmd:

I use a Paramo Explorer pull on. This has some venting and is not too warm outside of summer. If it's a bit colder I stick my Tores gilet over the top. If it's raining a I have a Paramo Fuera Ascent (got in sale for £25). This is very wind proof and if you treat it with T wash in is quite waterproof. I find this combination is generally very breathable and the only bit that gets wet with sweat is my back, if I am cycling with a rucksack.

For trousers I usually wear Montane Terra pants. These are only slightly shower resistant, but dry really quickly when it stops raining.

Ian.
 Nigel Modern 05 Oct 2010
In reply to Timmd: Paramo Fuera smock? Unlined so it's cool.

I add a TX10'd fleece underneath for really cold days on a bike.

I think the lined ones like the Velez are too warm for a bike.

Phil1919 05 Oct 2010
In reply to Timmd: I go for cycling Goretex shell, ie, closer fitting, and not much underneath. If I'm too cool, hat and gloves. Waterproof socks seem to work ok as long as the trousers cover the top of them. I won't arrive dry necessarily, but it keeps me the right temperature.
 jam 05 Oct 2010
I've got a midweight Paramo jacket (more accurately, it's by Cioch) and there's no way I'd be tempted to ride in that in anything short of subzero conditions. Well, maybe if I were riding very, very slowly and it was a torrential downpour. But not for anything approaching recreational riding.

I was fondling a Quito jacket in the London store earlier this year and thinking that it'd be okay for a mountainbiking jacket in cold weather as it's only slightly heavier than Driclime. The only problem with it was that Paramo had decided that their main market would be for really short people as it came down to around my navel.
OP Timmd 08 Oct 2010
In reply to Piers:
> (In reply to Timmd)
>
> Me and my mate cycled round Ireland for 7 days and it rained every single day non-stop. He had a Paramo garment on (I cant remember what model - it was the orange pull over with a big chest pocket and side vents) and he said it was brilliant!
>
> We cycled quite hard and while I was in my boil-in-the-bag type waterproof and I was just as wet inside as I was out whereas he was dry as a bone! So i spent the rest of the trip being very jealous of his Paramo.
>
> So i'm going to buy one I think!!

That's very interesting. Thanks too all for the feedback, I think i'll be investigating Paramo, or maybe waterproofs with zips in for letting out dampness.

Cheers
Tim
In reply to Timmd:

They may not be very aerodynamic and certainly not fashionable and act like sails on a windy day, but way back when Adam and I were lads, a good old fashioned PVC cycle cape kept me dry in the foulest of conditions for many hundreds of training and commuting miles. In those days Lycra had not been invented, so we wore gaiters to keep the road spray off the lower legs and feet, whilst the whole of your upper body and thighs were protected by the cape.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...