UKC

sheffield/ blackamoor single track

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 robal 11 Nov 2011
Hi,

I'm relitively new to mountain biking/down hill etc. however I have moved house recently and have noticed a huge amount of people riding past the end of my drive, I live on townhead road in dore, and after a little google I can find that there is some single track stuff at blackamoor but I'm not sure where, anyone got any ideas, is it any good?

thanks
rob
 Sir Chasm 11 Nov 2011
In reply to robal: Have you thought about getting off your backside and going for a look?
OP robal 11 Nov 2011
In reply to Sir Chasm: it did cross my mind but I had a cup of tea and a sit down and then I decided I'd google it....
 James_D 11 Nov 2011
In reply to robal:
Ride down the A625 towards Hathersage until you pass Whitelow Lane, then take any bridleway on the left. You can't go wrong!
 Chris the Tall 11 Nov 2011
In reply to robal:
Yep there's some cracking stuff at Blacka, and I'm one of those people who frequently ride past your house, covered in mud and with a huge grin on my face !

Look here http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php
and search for Dore, then change the left hand pane to OSMcycle and look for the green tracks - the're the bridleways.

The most obvious route goes from the car park near the junction of Stony Ridge road and hathersage road, double track with the woods on your left, through a gate into a open field, down to another gate and then a very rocky section down to a fork, left is steeper and takes you to a ford. Both are reasonable to ride up as well.

The steeper singletrack are accessed via a permissive Bway (not marked on maps) that runs parralel to the main road, that isn't marked on the map. You get to a couple of gates with a choice of routes - straight on is Devils Elbow, to the right is the harder Pipers Gate.

Have to say I've not ridden Pipers Gate for years, it's got a couple of sharp drops on it, and just when I was getting phyched to try it again I broke my full-suss! Devils Elbow is excellant and just within my range, although my last attempt, in the dark and very muddy, was less than impressive.

Other good stuff on Totley Moss and Womble Hill - go explore

lowersharpnose 11 Nov 2011
In reply to Chris the Tall:

The steeper singletrack are accessed via a permissive Bway (not marked on maps) that runs parralel to the main road, that isn't marked on the map. You get to a couple of gates with a choice of routes - straight on is Devils Elbow, to the right is the harder Pipers Gate.

Would you make that clearer for me please, which main road, which direction etc. Thanks.
 Chris the Tall 11 Nov 2011
In reply to lowersharpnose:
Main Road = Hathersage road, Direction = towards Sheff. The junction with the choice of gates is still pretty close to the road

Fairly obvious when you are there, but likely to be very muddy at the moment, although the RideSheffield group has been doing some work on it recently. There is a fear that if the track gets badly eroded Sheff Council will step in and "repair" it, which wouldn't be welcomed !
 Ropeboy 11 Nov 2011
In reply to robal:

You could nip down to Bike Tree, the lads down there do a bit and I think they used to organize rides or summat.

J
 deepsoup 11 Nov 2011
In reply to Ropeboy:
There are some very enthusiastic Blackamoor botherers on the other channel too, worth popping in there to say hello possibly..
http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/board,38.0.html
OP robal 14 Nov 2011
In reply to robal: HI Guys,

thanks for all your suggestions, I have had a poke around on the links you've sent through and will be out for a ride saturday morning weather and wife permitting!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...