UKC

Training specifically for the velodrome

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Richard Carter 26 Jun 2014
Well just as the title says really, aside from actually being in a velodrome, what's the best training plan? Should I focus on short fast rides, or hill work to try and increase power, or (god forbid!) interval training?

Getting a lot of mileage in at the moment but looking to focus my efforts before I hit the boards at the end of next month.
 ewar woowar 26 Jun 2014
In reply to Richard Carter:

Depends entirely on which event(s) you are targetting.
 woolsack 26 Jun 2014

Where are you off to?
In reply to woolsack:

Manchester.
In reply to ewar woowar:

1km.

ewar woowar 27 Jun 2014

You'll need a massive amount of power for the start and a massive amount of stamina to continue at max output for the 1k.

So a mix of short hard sprints, increasing the time/distance as you improve, combined with some more endurance focussed training.

Weights for building the legs would be a good idea too.
A bit of upper body wk too for the start.

Manchester is a great velodrome. I've ridden there a few times.

An hour on the boards is quite hard work!
 JLS 27 Jun 2014

For the kilo I think standing(ish) start intervals in a biggish gear would be helpful.

I've been riding at the Glasgow Track League. Races are generally fast 3 to 10 minute efforts at 28-30mph. Not that I'm any good but my main training involved 10x3min intervals with 1min rests or, if on the track, 6 laps "on" 2 laps "off".
 steveriley 27 Jun 2014
Have you got a fixie? I don't really race (apart from a bit of cx) and found I had a bit of an edge over the seemingly 'fitter' people I visited the velodrome with just from regular fixed riding.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...