UKC

What will I get 2nd hand ..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Philip 21 Jan 2024

Due to lack of availability during 2020/21 I settled for a less than ideal bike choice. What do you think I'd get for a Trek Xcaliber 9 in good condition, well looked after.

Wondering what hit I'd take.

Post edited at 18:03
 PaulW 21 Jan 2024
In reply to Philip:

My very rough rule of thumb for secondhand bikes is 50% of new straight away and then deduct a further 10% per year of age.

So at 3 years old about 20% of the new price.

OP Philip 21 Jan 2024
In reply to PaulW:

I had a quick look on FB marketplace, and there are a lot for around 60% of the original, but you get no sense of whether there's any selling at that.

Thanks for the advice. If it was that low I might as well not bother selling, probably get more for parts.

dingbat46 21 Jan 2024
In reply to Philip:

Looking on eBay, you can filter by 'Sold' items. A few have sold recently from £350 to £700

peppermill 22 Jan 2024
In reply to Philip:

Total buyer's market at the moment, near me in Scotland at least, a lot of folk trying to punt their pandemic purchases.

The same bikes on sale for weeks and weeks at already great prices. I recently bought a second hand MTB- beautiful Santa Cruz 29" that the guy had been trying to sell for eight weeks even at a very good price, seems to be similar for road/gravel.

JLS 22 Jan 2024
In reply to peppermill:

>”Total buyer's market at the moment, near me in Scotland at least, a lot of folk trying to punt their pandemic purchases.”

Add to that Wiggle/CRC are trying to punt a load of gear…

I recently managed to replace my 20 odd year old mountain bike with this for £300 + £20p+p.

In reply to PaulW:

2013 £4k

£2k immediately

0.9^11 = 0.313

So £626

I paid £500 for almost new, practically unused bike. So your formula works for me.

In reply to PaulW:

> So at 3 years old about 20% of the new price.

Ah; you meant 10% of the original price per year...

PaulW 23 Jan 2024
In reply to captain paranoia:

It was a very rough guide to what I would look to pay. After 3 or 4 years provided the condition remains good then bikes tend to reach a base price. So long as you can still get parts then they will hang around this level.

You seem to have got a fair deal.

Wish i had kept some of my old bikes, "classic" bikes seem to go for silly money right now.

ChrisJD 23 Jan 2024
In reply to Philip:

And higher priced/speced models in the same range seem to depreciate more than the lower price models of the bikes in the same range.

<not verified on that much actual data, lol>

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...