UKC

Any recommendable Bouldering near Cheddar Gorge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mickyv33 10 Aug 2017
Taking a trip to Cheddar this weekend.
Just wondering if anyone could recommend any good bouldering spots within an hour(ish) drive of Cheddar Gorge or near the coast that might make a nice break from the sport climbing at some point.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
- Thanks in advance
 deepstar 10 Aug 2017
In reply to mickyv33:

Ubley Warren Rocks Is a nice spot, 10 minutes from the top of Cheddar Gorge.
 remus Global Crag Moderator 10 Aug 2017
In reply to mickyv33:

Be warned, most stuff in the area is towards the esoteric end of the spectrum.

Meds Cave Good but limited, especially for stuff <7A. Plenty of linkups.
Croscombe Valley Cliffs Pockety limestone. Some decent straight ups, some scray highballs (or short trad routes) and some traverses.
Correges Cumb Just across the valley from croscombe. More limited unless you fancy some short solos. Probably quite overgrown at the moment.
Split Rock (Milton Hill Quarry) Some very limited eliminate bouldering on the left hand side of the crag. Definitely a last resort.
Sand Point Got the worlds softest 7C if you fancy an ego boost.
Ladye Bay (Clevedon) Some good problems here, though also some dodgy rock. Worth taking a couple of pads.
Brean Down There's a low level traverse around from the sport climbs that climbs better than it looks, which is good because it looks shit. Called cycle of despair I think?
Hambrook A handful of unremarkable problems.
 remus Global Crag Moderator 10 Aug 2017
In reply to mickyv33:

How could I forget Gollums Cave! The areas premiere limestone shithole. Makes Parisellas look like el cap.
OP mickyv33 10 Aug 2017
In reply to remus:

Thorough response Reemy Baby.

I have a sweet spot for the esoteric stuff.
Thanks for the info man. It would only be for a few hours so esoteric is good as long as it ain't miles of a walk in (or swim as per Pylon Kings Secret Crag)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...