UKC

Basic Bouldering First Aid kit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 thepodge 09 Dec 2020

Fell off a rock the other week and lost half the skin on my shin sliding down it.

Stupidly didn't have a first aid kit with me but when I checked the one I have at home most of the stuff was out of date. 

Since almost everything I do is on the edge or the Peak / Sheffield, it doesn't need to be a crazy, just the right stuff to get me back to the car where I can get my self to hospital or wait for assistance. 

What would people recommend I fill it with?

In reply to thepodge:

I don’t generally carry one bouldering, but the one in my trad bag is dictated by what I would know how to use. That’s not much in my case - basically some plasters and bandages, tape, cleaning wipes, and a pod of sterile water for rinsing anything deep.

I figure there’s no point carrying much more since I wouldn’t know what to do with it and it’d just be dead weight. So I’d suggest thinking about what you would be confident using and go from there. Or just buy one of the mini first aid kits aimed at runners and such. 

I’ve also printed out a short casualty monitoring form and carry a pencil. In case of a more serious accident it gives some prompts on what to keep an eye on while waiting for help. I figure at best it might be helpful to hand over to the first responder, at worst it would just be reassuring to the casualty to make it seem like things are under control and like something is being done while we wait. 

jack89 09 Dec 2020
In reply to thepodge:

If it's really just to get you home, nothing, as you'll already have climbing tape which is pretty versatile. A buff makes a quick bandage too.

johncook 09 Dec 2020
In reply to thepodge:

Ankle supports seem to be a must after talking to many of my bouldering friends who seem to accept damaged ankles as the norm?

RobertHepburn 09 Dec 2020
In reply to johncook:

Yes to an ankle support, carry one to the crag just in case as my left ankle has been a bit weak since the incident. Used one when a friend rolled his ankle recently at the crag, he still has it.

I also carry elasticated finger plasters for cuts to fingers, nail clippers that can also be used for flappers or cuts to skin, and a skin file to help smooth any skin out.

Post edited at 12:32
 PaulJepson 09 Dec 2020
In reply to thepodge:

I don't have a specific bouldering FA kit, so this is just what I have in my general climbing one:

Tape 

Scissors (if someone suffers an open fracture, you don't want to be trying to take the clothes off to get to it - those expensive trousers are getting cut!) 

Steri Strips (so light, they're worth taking)

Burn gel (partner got rope burn on hand once and I've carried it since)

Tick tool

Bandage

Various plasters

Anti-septic wipes

Safety pins

Ibuprofen

To be honest, most things can be fixed with tape, ibuprofen and anti-septic wipes. 

ianstevens 09 Dec 2020
In reply to thepodge:

Cling film. Saw the roll in half. Will fix everything you wouldn't need major assistance with 

ianstevens 09 Dec 2020
In reply to PaulJepson:

> Scissors (if someone suffers an open fracture, you don't want to be trying to take the clothes off to get to it - those expensive trousers are getting cut!) 

If someone has an open fracture I'd leave them well alone and be straight on the blower to MR!

PaulJepson 09 Dec 2020
In reply to ianstevens:

It might take MR hours to get to you (in a remote corrie, not a road-side edge obviously). 

ianstevens 09 Dec 2020
In reply to PaulJepson:

Still not touching an open fracture. Maybe throw a bit of water on it to clean out any shit, and get the casualty as warm as possible. 

PaulJepson 09 Dec 2020
In reply to ianstevens:

How are you going to assess or clean the wound or apply pressure if they've got clothes over it? I've done a few FA courses and none of them have said 'pour some water on their trousers and gtfo of there'. I'm not going to go all George Clooney on anyone in the field but a pair of scissors is a must for a first aid kit. 

dread-i 09 Dec 2020
In reply to thepodge:

Superglue, for flappers. Someone once lent me ibruprofen spray, when I buggered up my knee form a dodgy landing. That seemed to work as topical pain relief. But tape, tape and more tape. You can repair hands, small cuts. With something absorbent, you can make a good bandage. You can make a splint or probably even a stretcher, if you had enough of it.

ianstevens 09 Dec 2020
In reply to PaulJepson:

I'm not saying GTFO,, I'm saying look after them as well as you can whilst waiting for someone with the skills and knowledge to deal with the issue. I'd wait with the casualty and monitor/keep warm. Unless its pouring blood, touching an open fracture is very low on my agenda - risk of further damaging it is far too high. If its pouring, I'd pad it out as best I could and get the clingfilm around it - without cutting clothes off! Whatever you, however neat it is, will get chopped off my MR straight away so they can look themselves. Appreciate you may have a different take - but this is what I want done to me. No poking about at my sticking out bones please!

Post edited at 15:46
OP thepodge 09 Dec 2020
In reply to thepodge:

Thanks for the input, I already have general maintenance such as tape, scissors, nail file / trimmers in my chalk bag. 

The out of date kit was one of those off the shelf runner / hikers ones. 

Surprised no one has said an emergency blanket though I guess my original question didn't really cover that. 

The Lemming 09 Dec 2020
In reply to thepodge

> Surprised no one has said an emergency blanket though I guess my original question didn't really cover that. 

Your OP said a kit to get you back to the car. If your war wounds are severe enough to allow you to get back to the car, I don't see a need for an emergency blanket.

These topics can spiral quickly with people saying that you should be carrying a field hospital at the very least.

I'd suggest the KISS principle. keep it simple, stupid.

You're bouldering, your not far from the car.

And if the proverbial hits the fan,  then you are not too far away for a self extrication to the roadside by you and your mates or for Mountain Rescue to save the day.

Bobling 09 Dec 2020
In reply to thepodge:

For some reason this is the topic I was looking at when I bookmarked UKC..."Emergencies to expect when climbing"  https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/rock_talk/what_emergencies_to_expect_clim...

Includes the immortal exchange (I paraphrase) -
Q: "What the f**ck do you know about it anyway?"
A: "I think he's the president of the UIAA Medical Commission"

I know it's not bouldering specific but some helpful advice and thoughts there.

RR 09 Dec 2020
In reply to thepodge:

For Fontainebleau I take tape and stuff/tape for ankle and knee. Tweezers and Benadryl (a anti histaminic because of processional caterpillars a.o.) and wipes, band aid. I take a poison pump, because of the snake, I react strong to poison.

No knee pads, but wearing pants.etc Allez, allez

Dax H 09 Dec 2020
In reply to thepodge:

Triangular bandages and gaffer tape, oh and a good multi tool, lots of pointy things for poking with, sharp things for cutting clothes and a built in saw for field amputation or at a pinch to cut a tree branch to make a splint / crutch. 

k_os 09 Dec 2020
In reply to thepodge:

A basic first aid course would be a really great idea, but failing that something to stop bleeding (e.g. abdominal pad covers a lot of area, eg your shin, and can soak up a lot of blood/help clotting and is sterile, triangular bandages generally aren't) and some finger tape to keep it in place would be a good start. Not cling film though, it won't help clotting, and you would have to apply it pretty tight to get your required effect, potentially cutting off blood circulation to the extremity

webbo 09 Dec 2020
In reply to thepodge:

Ffs you are going bouldering not going for an alpine north face in winter.

chris_r 09 Dec 2020
In reply to k_os:

> A basic first aid course would be a really great idea

A first aid course? Can't you just YouTube how to do  CPR / wound dressing / limb amputation  while you're stood over the casualty?  

tjekel 10 Dec 2020
In reply to thepodge:

Very simple: tape, toilet paper, pain killer. Thats it. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...