UKC

Boulder Spots near Manchester, UK.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bm91 12 Aug 2022

Morning everyone, 

After spending just under 18 months in the gym, myself and a friend have finally bought a crash pad and are looking to acquaint ourselves with the great outdoors. 

Can anyone recommend any beginner friendly boulder crags/problems? 

I've downloaded a few apps but most are sport and trad dominated. 

I see the expensive route books in my local gym, are these a necessity to be able to locate crags and outline the relevant problem holds/routes?

We are heading out this weekend, any tips much appreciated. Thanks 

Tyler 12 Aug 2022
In reply to Bm91:

I’d suggest Craig y Longridge, as all your indoor climbing will translate well to the sort of climbing there. Also it has nice landings and lots of problems close together. 

mrphilipoldham 12 Aug 2022
In reply to Bm91:

Blackstone Edge is probably the biggest and easiest to access. Lots of low and easy problems to acquaint yourself with the rock before moving on to higher, harder problems. Then there’s also the Lancashire quarries. Some problems are often identifiable via photos and descriptions on the UKC logbooks but the guidebooks are indeed usually the best option. 
Everyone will tell you to go to Burbage or Stanage and whilst they’re excellent spots, they’re going to rammed this weekend with the good weather so maybe not the best spots to go to. That said, you’re also more likely to find other climbers to browse guidebooks off.. so would depend which side of the trade off you’d prefer. 

Post edited at 11:05
 plyometrics 12 Aug 2022
In reply to Bm91:

Brownstones 

OP Bm91 12 Aug 2022
In reply to Bm91:

Thanks for the recommendations.

Regarding the aforementioned spots, what app/tool/forum is best to use for info as to the routes?

27 crags has a list of routes for each spot, but when you click into each, there is no information about which holds constitute the problem. 

Andy Hardy 12 Aug 2022
In reply to Bm91:

Chew Valley - Wimberry boulders  Wimberry Rocks

Hobson Moor  Hobson Moor Quarry

steveriley 12 Aug 2022
In reply to Bm91:

Which side of Manchester? North I'd second Blackstone, but also think about Buckstones, West Nab. South there's some decent bouldering at Windgather (though not normally thought a bouldering venue). The (Lyme Park) Black Rocks is scrappy but worth a look. You've go the whole of the Peak, Lancs and West Yorks in striking distance. Tons of information on here, but do yourself a favour and buy a guide, these places don't get documented for free. Lancs Bouldering a great guide, as is Over the Moors, Rockfax Peak Bouldering, VG Peak Bouldering, etc. Enjoy.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/?location=manchester&distance=...

slucas 12 Aug 2022
In reply to Bm91:

Hello Bm 

Your best bet is the Peak 

Theres either limestone or gritstone type rock to climb. .....but at this time of year grit is not good as it's too warm. When cooler weather comes then the grit boulders here are amazing.

The limestone is pretty tough, not very beginner friendly. But if you are psyched to put a few sessions into it then you'll get better and better and so will the problems....

Limestone Crags are;

Raven tor, water cum jolly, lees bottom, Blackwell dale, Freda's buttress, Rheinstone, stoney Middleton

Put those into ukc and you'll see all listed problems... however having a guide is pretty essential as the boulders are not obvious from description.

Here's a small list of good easy lime boulders

Chimes start 6B, push me pull you 6B+, don't jump 6C, left abbatoir 6B, Ivy league 6b+, more glee in the jungle 6a+

Watecum jolly Rubicon area has lots of low 6s too.

Enjoy and good luck!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...