UKC

Bouldering in Ireland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hi, I’m going on a family holiday to Ireland next week starting in the Burren and then travelling down to the south west. I’m hopping to get a couple of bouldering sessions in but nothing too hard for an old josser. Does anyone have any recommendations for venues etc? Thanks in advance of any info.

Chris

twoshoes 16 Jun 2023
In reply to Christheclimber:

I can only offer advice as a one-time visitor, but I thought Doolin was ace if you're in the Burren area. 

In reply to twoshoes:

Cheers, just had a look and it’s got a great range of problems. 👍🏻

greg_may_ 16 Jun 2023

Lots to go at. This is the guide: https://threerockbooks.com/product/bouldering-in-ireland/

Email Dave, he's a great lad and will help.

In reply to greg_may_:

Thanks for the link.

Hoping to pick up a copy of Bouldering in Ireland but not sure where from. We arrive in Ballyvaughan on Tuesday. 

Any other suggestions for easyish bouldering in the Burren and south west Ireland would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Mick Ward 18 Jun 2023
In reply to greg_may_:

> Email Dave, he's a great lad and will help.

Would echo this (and I have!)

Mick 

In reply to Mick Ward:

Hi Mick, Planning on getting the guidebook (if I can find a shop selling it) but any recommendations would be appreciated.

Chris

Mick Ward 19 Jun 2023

Hi Chris, sorry, haven't climbed in Ireland for 30 years. Glendalough was always well known but you're on the west coast. 

If you can't get the guidebook, ask Dave. I'm sure he'll help. 

Hope you have a great time! 

Mick 

RickyY 19 Jun 2023

There's no gear shops around there. Your best bet is to stop in Dublin on your way through and get it fro a gear shop in the centre of town or from one of the walls.....

RickyY 19 Jun 2023

There's also good bouldering in the Gap of Dunloe in Kerry although there can be some access difficulties.

In reply to Mick Ward:

Cheers Mick.

In reply to RickyY:

Thanks for the info.

In reply to RickyY:

Cheers, I’ll check it out on here.

PebbleWrestler 24 Jun 2023

Unfortunately the paper guidebook is woefully out of date for Doolin as the winter storms move a lot of the boulders.

The local community run https://doolinbouldering.com/ and keep it relatively up to date.

In reply to PebbleWrestler:

Cheers, luckily I found the website you linked the day before I visited Doolin, It was a great help and more useful than the guidebook. A great venue with bullet proof quality limestone.

Chris

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...