UKC

Bouldering Mats Visible From Space!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 In Situ 21 Dec 2020

Have a look at the current Google Earth images of Sheep Pen boulders, Nant Ffrancon. Bouldering mats can be seen from space. 

Blue: Main Block, Yellow: Pinch Block, Red: First Block

Wow! Big bro is watching 😎

Enty 21 Dec 2020
In reply to In Situ:

Red one, blue one and a yellow one - any more?

E

nikoid 21 Dec 2020
In reply to In Situ:

Well from the air, not from space!

Luke90 21 Dec 2020
In reply to nikoid:

Interesting. I always assumed Google Earth was almost exclusively satellite images but it seems you're right. A bit of Googling soon told me that it's a real mix of satellite and old-school aerial photography, and in this specific case the copyright info suggests aerial. Thanks, your pedantry was interesting.

Correction: I was looking at Google Maps rather than Google Earth. Can't see any similar info about data source in Google Earth. But holy cow, it's incredible that Google has 3D renders of some obscure boulders in a field in Wales.

Post edited at 19:45
 Michael Hood 22 Dec 2020
In reply to Luke90:

Snowdonia's 3D is great, you can make out things like Left Wall (E2 5c) quite clearly, or have a good look at Adam and Eve on the summit of Tryfan.

Shame it isn't the same for the Lakes and Scotland, most of the 3D is urban but where crags are near cities...

ianstevens 22 Dec 2020
In reply to In Situ:

Jerry's Roof has got a bit less steeper it seems!

Lankyman 22 Dec 2020
In reply to In Situ:

I used to enjoy seeing those pixelated mooners and flashers you'd occasionally encounter in early Streetview images. Do they still exist or has Google sanitised it all away?

Michael Hood 22 Dec 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

I think you'd be lucky to find one nowadays - certainly the celebrated Manchester street near the station "not a freebie incident" is not visible.

Post edited at 14:22
 nikoid 22 Dec 2020
In reply to Luke90:

> Thanks, your pedantry was interesting.

That tickled me for some reason!

You're welcome😉

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...