UKC

Can someone explain the "break"?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 S-Quinn93 27 May 2023

Hi guys, I am reasonably new to outdoor bouldering.

This may sound stupid but I can not understand fully what is meant by "the break" when looking at route descriptions.

Here is an example. "Sit start using same break. Find the sketchy foot hold and use right hand marginal pinch/side pull above break to make move for top."

If anyone can make this clearer for me I would be grateful. 

Alex Riley 27 May 2023
In reply to S-Quinn93:

It usually means horizontal crack.

OP S-Quinn93 27 May 2023
In reply to Alex Riley:

Much appreciated 

Pedro50 27 May 2023
In reply to S-Quinn93:

Maybe not so much a crack but a recessed horizontal feature perhaps due to a softer weathered band of rock, common on sedimentary rock like gritstone. Useful as a promise of better handholds and later footholds. May well accept horizontal cams.

Wimlands 27 May 2023
In reply to Pedro50:

I’ve had a lie down on the horizontal fault line at Boulder Ruckle whilst contemplating the 2nd pitch.
A slightly different definition of a break….

ExiledScot 27 May 2023
In reply to Pedro50:

> Maybe not so much a crack but a recessed horizontal feature perhaps due to a softer weathered band of rock, common on sedimentary rock like gritstone. Useful as a promise of better handholds and later footholds. May well accept horizontal cams.

Yeah, i say it could be seen as a line of weakness, compared to what's around it. 

chris_r 27 May 2023
In reply to Wimlands:

> I’ve had a lie down on the horizontal fault line at Boulder Ruckle whilst contemplating the 2nd pitch.

> A slightly different definition of a break….

A break within a break. So a break squared?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...