UKC

How long to wait ro climb sandstone after rain? 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 oult 12 Dec 2020

I was going to head out to Neath abbey boulders today/Saturday, at 10am ish. I Didn't see it was sandstone until now, there has been light rain today and it should be dry for at least 9-10 hours before i climb.

Is this enough or should I go to another spot?

Sorry if this is a dumb iv[crag(No matches found,"No matches found")]e only been outside a few times and am still learning etiquette and when to climb what.

LakesWinter 12 Dec 2020
In reply to oult:

It might need longer as sandstone is porous and so whilst the surface may be dry, a few mm down can still be damp and hence weak but it will depend also how exposed the crag is to drying elements like wind and sun and that it something i dont know.

Also well done for asking the question

OP oult 12 Dec 2020
In reply to LakesWinter:

Cheers man 

ianstevens 12 Dec 2020
In reply to oult:

Often a few days at this time of year - depends on antecedent dampness, sun, wind and air temps. In all honesty I think a good chunk of sandstone is best avoided until spring once the winter grot really sets in (which it definitely has here).

climberchristy 12 Dec 2020
In reply to oult:

Don't know the exact answer to your question as I'm not local; I just know sandstone tends to need a good, long drying period. However, I've replied just to say I am impressed that you've asked the question. Shows respect for the rock and is a great attitude in a relatively inexperienced climber to seek advice. Good luck in finding somewhere dry. 

In reply to oult:

I spy a business opportunity, import a few Chinese damp meters and rebrand with a funky climbing logo. Drypsyche?

Mark up 1000%,.make up an arbitrary value for each rock type. There are plenty on here who would police/report breaches of the "rules" 

Hmmm cranky this morning, need more coffee, and damp meters and stickers. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...