UKC

Kid suitable bouldering Lakes (Kendal)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 teapot 24 Aug 2021

We have the rockfax guide by Lagoe and Hyslop, but can't see much in there. Happy to update to a more recent guide if it has new areas or guidance on low grade stuff.

In reply to teapot:

I'd recommend Greg Chapmans excellent lakes bouldering guide. It is a far more more comprehensive book and includes a huge amount of development since the rockfax guide.

Kid grade stuff is described in there but not always included in photo-topo's.

A good family venue near Kendal is brant fell, which I think is in the old rockfax guide. 

Lord_ash2000 24 Aug 2021
In reply to teapot:

Kentmere is quite fun in general for kids, may be worth a look.

steveriley 24 Aug 2021
In reply to teapot:

You might look back towards the M6 at places like Farleton, Newbiggin, Hutton Roof? But might feel perverse heading away from the Lakes. Kentmere is just a lovely place to be.

Dark-Cloud 24 Aug 2021
In reply to teapot:

Never been but i saw some folk here last time i ran up the valley, looks a nice spot with a nice river for a swim (if it warms up) parking can be an issue if not there early

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/settle_earth_boulders-22043#maps

on Lakesbloc here:

http://www.lakesbloc.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/guides/longsleddale-settle...

Post edited at 16:25
 bouldery bits 24 Aug 2021
In reply to teapot:

Brantfell would be my suggestion from that side. Great stuff. 

OP teapot 24 Aug 2021
In reply to bouldery bits:

Thanks all. Will check out Brantfell then. Cheers

cathsullivan 25 Aug 2021
In reply to teapot:

Newbiggin is really handy if you're in Kendal and has loads of easy bouldering. Short walk and lots of grassy areas.

Similar venue (with a less easy, but short, walk) is Middle Busk near Orton (it's in the UKC database).  Bit further to drive from Kendal obv.

OP teapot 26 Aug 2021
In reply to cathsullivan:

Gear thanks 

OP teapot 28 Aug 2021
In reply to steveriley:

We went to New Biggin yesterday evening and it was perfect. Only 20 mins from where we are staying. My daughters first limestone experience. She enjoyed it, although her skin took a battering! 

We also parked at parking 1, rather than 2 or 3 which meant a 45 minute, rather than 5 minute walk in!!

steveriley 28 Aug 2021
In reply to teapot:

Ah perfect, glad you enjoyed it. Lovely sharp limestone, I’m due another visit I think 🙂

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...