UKC

Pro problem setter costs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mike reed 31 May 2021

Friend of mine is setting up a boulder gym in Thesolonikki and wants to find out what the charge is for setting these days in the UK. Per problem? Per move? Per day? How is it costed and what roughly is the going rate for free lance setters. 
Many thanks 

Kevster 31 May 2021
In reply to mike reed:

I thought bouldering and many other activities for such people was a day rate. 

Pro setter.... Is that someone with a screw gun and a passion for climbing, or someone with a high profile/ ability / proven track record for route setting?

As for current rates. I can't reliably state, so shan't. Maybe ask a local setter to the wall what their rates are? There's no point knowing what someone's rate in London or Glasgow is if they're never going to travel for your purposes. 

Alkis 31 May 2021
In reply to mike reed:

Interesting, that's where I grew up!

OP mike reed 01 Jun 2021
In reply to tjdodd:

Thanks, really helpful

CantClimbTom 01 Jun 2021
In reply to mike reed:

If Greece wasn't on UK's Amber List, I'd have suggested return air fare, a place to kip and beer. Someone might have done it as a "busman's holiday". Not so sure that'll work this year

mike123 01 Jun 2021
In reply to CantClimbTom:

> If Greece wasn't on UK's Amber List, I'd have suggested return air fare, a place to kip , beer and thier  usual day rate 

Fixed that for you . 

In reply to mike123:

> If Greece wasn't on UK's Amber List, I'd have suggested return air fare, a place to kip , beer and thier  usual day rate 

And a work permit.

mike123 02 Jun 2021
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh: the daughter of a friend of mine is a very good router setter , it’s what she does to pay the bills , I wouldn’t expect her to fly across Europe , set me a bunch of Boulder problems for a few days and fly home again just because I’ve got a flat some where sunny and then not pay her . I ll repeat for the hard of understanding ,” it s  her job “Maybe it’s just me. Of course she wouldn’t be working she’d be “on holiday “.

In reply to mike123:

>  the daughter of a friend of mine is a very good router setter , it’s what she does to pay the bills , I wouldn’t expect her to fly across Europe , set me a bunch of Boulder problems for a few days and fly home again 

If I had a bouldering gym in Greece I'd hire a Greek route setter or, if I was feeling flush Italy and Slovenia aren't that far away.

Why on earth would a Greek climbing wall owner hire a route setter from England unless they were trying to get it done for cheap and off the books by someone after a free holiday?  

Andy Gamisou 03 Jun 2021
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

> If I had a bouldering gym in Greece I'd hire a Greek route setter or, if I was feeling flush Italy and Slovenia aren't that far away.

> Why on earth would a Greek climbing wall owner hire a route setter from England unless they were trying to get it done for cheap and off the books by someone after a free holiday?  

Well, a bouldering wall in Cyprus some years ago hired a (high profile) route setter from England to do just that - but not (so far as I'm aware) on the cheap or off the books, so I guess it can happen.  Why do this?  Lack of experienced local route setters?  Cachet associated with advertising your wall as being set by some "super wad" perhaps?  Money to burn? Mind you, could explain why they (last, and only time I went, about a decade ago)  charged €15 an hour, and added extra for such luxuries as parking and having the lights switched on....

Post edited at 03:04
In reply to Andy Gamisou:

>  Cachet associated with advertising your wall as being set by some "super wad" perhaps? 

Sure, but this is Greece, if they wanted a star setter presumably they would go to Slovenia or Austria or France before the UK.

Andy Gamisou 03 Jun 2021

> Sure, but this is Greece, if they wanted a star setter presumably they would go to Slovenia or Austria or France before the UK.

Possibly, although as the two cultures have certain similarities, possibly not.  And why "before the UK"?  

Post edited at 04:48
 Kevster 03 Jun 2021

Half tongue in cheek, but maybe the UK climbers want familiarity when they go on holiday? 
Pictures of pizzas, Irish bars, larger, UK set indoor walls etc. 
Nothing against the actual wall. Just UK holidaymakers have a stereotype to maintain

> Possibly, although as the two cultures have certain similarities, possibly not.  And why "before the UK"?  

Because they are much closer to Greece, they are in the EU so they are allowed to work and if you look at who gets into IFSC finals you would conclude they are better at indoor bouldering

Post edited at 06:52
Andy Gamisou 03 Jun 2021

> Because they are much closer to Greece, they are in the EU so they are allowed to work and if you look at who gets into IFSC finals you would conclude they are better at indoor bouldering

Well, the instance I'm describing was pre-brexit, which would be obvious if you read my message carefully, so the Brexit argument is spurious.  Cyprus (like Greece) isn't appreciably closer to France than the UK by plane, and I don't see what happens in IFSC now really affected what happened more than a decade ago - unless some sort of time machine is involved. 

My message was purely to illustrate that some small countries do want more experienced climbers to come and set for them (and the OP seems to suggest this includes Greece).  Clearly, these facts are trumped by your (non-fact based) opinion.

Still, whatever, you appear to have a need to be always right and have the last word, so crack on.

Post edited at 11:33

> Well, the instance I'm describing was pre-brexit, which would be obvious if you read my message carefully, so the Brexit argument is spurious.  Cyprus (like Greece) isn't appreciably closer to France than the UK by plane, and I don't see what happens in IFSC now really affected what happened more than a decade ago - unless some sort of time machine is involved. 

Of course Cypress is closer to France than the UK look at the map.  Italy, Austria and Slovenia are all strong climbing countries and even closer to Greece.

The OP is about now, not ten years ago.

Cypress is also a special case because of its size and UK military presence.  The OP was talking about Greece.

> My message was purely to illustrate that some small countries do want more experienced climbers to come and set for them (and the OP seems to suggest this includes Greece).  Clearly, these facts are trumped by your (non-fact based) opinion.

Of course small countries sometimes want experienced people to come and set for them but Brexit is a fact, it is easier for a gym in Greece to hire EU citizens and there's no reason why the Greeks would think a UK route-setter was superior to one from one of the strong EU climbing countries. 

Toerag 04 Jun 2021
In reply to mike123:

>  the daughter of a friend of mine is a very good router setter , it’s what she does to pay the bills , I wouldn’t expect her to fly across Europe , set me a bunch of Boulder problems for a few days and fly home again just because I’ve got a flat some where sunny and then not pay her . I ll repeat for the hard of understanding ,” it s  her job “Maybe it’s just me. Of course she wouldn’t be working she’d be “on holiday “.

Depending on the duration of the job and duration of accommodation offered the routesetter could be onto a winner to take up the original suggestion of paid travel and lodgings if they fancy a trip to Greece. If the setter does 2 days work (£400 tops according to the other thread) on a 2 week trip 'for nothing' and gets £150's worth of flights, £120+'s worth of accommodation, plus some free meals, plus 12 days of free beer, plus whatever other benefits the customer gives them I'd say they got a good deal.  Eliminating the difference in cost of providing accommodation and cost to a customer can provide a benefit to both parties.

Post edited at 17:18

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...