Loading Notifications...

Sally in the woods (Bathford) climbing pdf?

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 apwebber 24 May 2020

Hi all. I was at Sally in the woods today and someone showed me a really nice pdf guide that someone had put together. It had pictures of all the boulders and a map and some topo lines. However, I neglected to ask him to send me it. Does anyone have a copy?

Nik 24 May 2020
In reply to apwebber:

Didn't even know there was bouldering there and its pretty local to me! would also be very interested in this guide is someone manages to dig it out.

apwebber 24 May 2020
In reply to Nik:

Yeah! I had heard it was a bit crap but honestly some of the rock there is as good as any other limestone venue. Solid, interesting features, pockets, steep stuff, roofs, slabs... it's absolutely worth a visit! The only trouble is finding the different parts, we came across several groups like us, wandering around like headless chickens XD

c9smith8 24 May 2020
In reply to apwebber:

Access is a bit sensitive (depending on who you ask it’s either common land or privately owned, either way there’s no inherent right to climb) hence no commercial/publicly available guidebook I think. 

I think you can get hold of the pdf from one of the local climber Facebook groups - not sure which one I’m afraid. 

+1 on the quality, there’s a few quality boulders hidden in the woods, most of which can be easily found along the main track from the lay-by. Keep an eye out for ticks - they’re out in force there currently!

Tom Last 24 May 2020
In reply to apwebber:

Sent you an email 

griff90 25 May 2020
In reply to Tom Last:

I would love a copy as well. I think I have found most of it but there must be a few bits I've missed.

leburnett88 10 Jun 2020
In reply to griff90:

If anyone could send me one as well, that would be great.

TomD89 10 Jun 2020
In reply to apwebber:

Last time I visited I very much relied on luck and the kindness of strangers to help find all the boulders and give route advice. Would be super helpful to have that PDF if anyone is kind enough to share it!

In reply to apwebber:

Bump for the .pdf too if anyone feels kind enough to share it with me please.

Mark Davies PK 11 Jun 2020
In reply to Bobling:

Don't panic, book coming soon.

In reply to Mark Davies PK:

Heh, that's what you always say : )

TedT 22 Jun 2020
In reply to apwebber:

I'd also love a copy if anyone could forward it over please.
I've been a few times recently and have found everything apart from sin city which still eludes me...

Tony the Blade 22 Jun 2020
In reply to TedT:

Email sent - also to other requests above.

Cretan Girl 27 Jun 2020
In reply to Tony the Blade:

I’d also really love a copy of the pdf please, if you’re happy to send it out again! 😊 

James Moyle 27 Jun 2020
In reply to Cretan Girl:

Have sent you an email

James Moyle 27 Jun 2020
In reply to apwebber:

For people who are interested there is a Bath Climbers Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/bathclimbers/ for local climbing news

harrison 29 Jun 2020
In reply to apwebber:

btw anyone visiting Sally in the Woods - someone tried to break into my van last tuesday during the day. There was a far nicer vw camper parked a few spaces behind my old and tatty van so I hope they didn't mess up their van.

I would hazard a guess that its due to the relatively recent increased popularity and some oppurtunists driving past with nothing to do - be careful not to leave anything on display.

Trevers 16:02 Mon
In reply to harrison:

Perhaps it was Sally herself or one of the many ghosts that haunt Sally in the Wood?

Post edited at 16:05
In reply to Trevers:

Sally was a kind women.

Trevers 14:12 Tue

> Sally was a kind women.

Indeed. There are lots of nice resources on the history of the place, the stories about babies seem somewhat far-fetched...

In reply to Trevers:

> Indeed. There are lots of nice resources on the history of the place, the stories about babies seem somewhat far-fetched...

Yeah I reckon that stuff is just bollox.

Trevers 15:42 Tue

> Yeah I reckon that stuff is just bollox.

Good guidebook preamble material though

In reply to Trevers:

I have the Sally stuff in the book. I even think I know where her dwelling used to be.

Tom Last 19:28 Tue

There’s no truth to the ‘Sally’ being a reference to a nearby Civil War battle I take it, Mark? I’ve seen Sally = Sortie, as an alternative take on the name.

Tom Last 19:31 Tue

An outlying skirmish from Lansdowne maybe? 

In reply to Tom Last:

No, she was a real person who lived in the woods there.

Tom Last 20:48 Tue

Lovely, a wise woman...

In reply to apwebber:

Please would someone send me the pdf also

many thanks 

In reply to c9smith8:

> Access is a bit sensitive (depending on who you ask it’s either common land or privately owned, either way there’s no inherent right to climb) hence no commercial/publicly available guidebook I think. 

According to the  Land Registry (if I've got the spot right, judging by the UKC crag map), it's privately owned, by a Mr  BENEDICT JAMES ROSE of Rook Lane House,Christchurch Street West, Frome BA11 1EB The value stated as at 23 May 2019 was £65,000 (when he appeared to gain title)

In reply to Southvillain:

Part of the land is registered common land.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.