UKC

Sally in the woods (Bathford) climbing pdf?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 apwebber 24 May 2020

Hi all. I was at Sally in the woods today and someone showed me a really nice pdf guide that someone had put together. It had pictures of all the boulders and a map and some topo lines. However, I neglected to ask him to send me it. Does anyone have a copy?

Nik 24 May 2020
In reply to apwebber:

Didn't even know there was bouldering there and its pretty local to me! would also be very interested in this guide is someone manages to dig it out.

OP apwebber 24 May 2020
In reply to Nik:

Yeah! I had heard it was a bit crap but honestly some of the rock there is as good as any other limestone venue. Solid, interesting features, pockets, steep stuff, roofs, slabs... it's absolutely worth a visit! The only trouble is finding the different parts, we came across several groups like us, wandering around like headless chickens

c9smith8 24 May 2020
In reply to apwebber:

Access is a bit sensitive (depending on who you ask it’s either common land or privately owned, either way there’s no inherent right to climb) hence no commercial/publicly available guidebook I think. 

I think you can get hold of the pdf from one of the local climber Facebook groups - not sure which one I’m afraid. 

+1 on the quality, there’s a few quality boulders hidden in the woods, most of which can be easily found along the main track from the lay-by. Keep an eye out for ticks - they’re out in force there currently!

Tom Last 24 May 2020
In reply to apwebber:

Sent you an email 

griff90 25 May 2020
In reply to Tom Last:

I would love a copy as well. I think I have found most of it but there must be a few bits I've missed.

leburnett88 10 Jun 2020
In reply to griff90:

If anyone could send me one as well, that would be great.

TomD89 10 Jun 2020
In reply to apwebber:

Last time I visited I very much relied on luck and the kindness of strangers to help find all the boulders and give route advice. Would be super helpful to have that PDF if anyone is kind enough to share it!

Bobling 11 Jun 2020
In reply to apwebber:

Bump for the .pdf too if anyone feels kind enough to share it with me please.

The Pylon King 11 Jun 2020
In reply to Bobling:

Don't panic, book coming soon.

Bobling 11 Jun 2020
In reply to The Pylon King:

Heh, that's what you always say : )

TedT 22 Jun 2020
In reply to apwebber:

I'd also love a copy if anyone could forward it over please.
I've been a few times recently and have found everything apart from sin city which still eludes me...

Tony the Blade 22 Jun 2020
In reply to TedT:

Email sent - also to other requests above.

Cretan Girl 27 Jun 2020
In reply to Tony the Blade:

I’d also really love a copy of the pdf please, if you’re happy to send it out again! 😊 

James Moyle 27 Jun 2020
In reply to Cretan Girl:

Have sent you an email

James Moyle 27 Jun 2020
In reply to apwebber:

For people who are interested there is a Bath Climbers Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/bathclimbers/ for local climbing news

harrison 29 Jun 2020
In reply to apwebber:

btw anyone visiting Sally in the Woods - someone tried to break into my van last tuesday during the day. There was a far nicer vw camper parked a few spaces behind my old and tatty van so I hope they didn't mess up their van.

I would hazard a guess that its due to the relatively recent increased popularity and some oppurtunists driving past with nothing to do - be careful not to leave anything on display.

Trevers 29 Jun 2020
In reply to harrison:

Perhaps it was Sally herself or one of the many ghosts that haunt Sally in the Wood?

Post edited at 16:05
 The Pylon King 30 Jun 2020
In reply to Trevers:

Sally was a kind women.

Trevers 30 Jun 2020

> Sally was a kind women.

Indeed. There are lots of nice resources on the history of the place, the stories about babies seem somewhat far-fetched...

In reply to Trevers:

> Indeed. There are lots of nice resources on the history of the place, the stories about babies seem somewhat far-fetched...

Yeah I reckon that stuff is just bollox.

Trevers 30 Jun 2020

> Yeah I reckon that stuff is just bollox.

Good guidebook preamble material though

In reply to Trevers:

I have the Sally stuff in the book. I even think I know where her dwelling used to be.

Tom Last 30 Jun 2020

There’s no truth to the ‘Sally’ being a reference to a nearby Civil War battle I take it, Mark? I’ve seen Sally = Sortie, as an alternative take on the name.

Tom Last 30 Jun 2020

An outlying skirmish from Lansdowne maybe? 

In reply to Tom Last:

No, she was a real person who lived in the woods there.

Tom Last 30 Jun 2020

Lovely, a wise woman...

obi-wan nick b 01 Jul 2020
In reply to apwebber:

Please would someone send me the pdf also

many thanks 

Southvillain 01 Jul 2020
In reply to c9smith8:

> Access is a bit sensitive (depending on who you ask it’s either common land or privately owned, either way there’s no inherent right to climb) hence no commercial/publicly available guidebook I think. 

According to the  Land Registry (if I've got the spot right, judging by the UKC crag map), it's privately owned, by a Mr  BENEDICT JAMES ROSE of Rook Lane House,Christchurch Street West, Frome BA11 1EB The value stated as at 23 May 2019 was £65,000 (when he appeared to gain title)

The Pylon King 01 Jul 2020
In reply to Southvillain:

Part of the land is registered common land.

DorsetGareth 06 Jul 2020

Interesting!  Did you pay for this info, or is it freely available?  Is there a map of the purchased area?

obi-wan nick b 07 Jul 2020
In reply to obi-wan nick b:

Any chance someone could send me the pdf please? Thanks 

Southvillain 08 Jul 2020
In reply to DorsetGareth:

> Interesting!  Did you pay for this info, or is it freely available?  Is there a map of the purchased area?

You have to pay to download the title docs.

obi-wan nick b 13 Jul 2020
In reply to obi-wan nick b:

Bump

any chance someone could send me the pdf please 

Behold81 13 Jul 2020
In reply to Tom Last:

Hi there. Any chance for a copy of this PDF please. Would make our visit much better. 

thanks. 

OP apwebber 13 Jul 2020
In reply to apwebber:

Emails sent

Behold81 13 Jul 2020
In reply to apwebber:

Your a star. Thank you very much. 

Behold81 13 Jul 2020
In reply to apwebber:

wow  just looked at the data   That is awesome   

TomD89 14 Jul 2020
In reply to apwebber:

Could you sent it to me as well please? Would love to go back with a guide.

OP apwebber 14 Jul 2020
In reply to TomD89:

Yep sure, message me your email address.

Removed User 23 Jul 2020
In reply to apwebber:

I hope I’m not too late to this email party. Would you also be able to send me the PDF too please? Thank you so much for helping open up the woods to those easily lost!

OP apwebber 23 Jul 2020

I just stumbled across this website and it actually displays in detail where the common land is. From the map I'm pretty sure that the common land includes the south-eastern portion of the main escarpment that is home to the all elements area and halloween buttress. However, the other popular boulders (combine, yew tree slab etc) don't appear to be in registered common land.

https://magic.defra.gov.uk/MagicMap.aspx

Under the access tab, click Registered Common Land (England). It's also in the Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000 - Access Layer (England) layer.

Another thing to note is that it appears the Matterhorn and Sin City boulders (and possibly Ragnarok but would need to double check the location) are within the Brown's Folly site of special scientific interest (SSSI), which is something to think about when removing vegetation etc...

Post edited at 23:17
 Greenbanks 23 Jul 2020
In reply to Removed UserJoeBonfield:

Steady on fellas. Mr Benedict James Rose might find his patch inundated...

The Pylon King 23 Jul 2020
In reply to apwebber:

Yes the main escarpment is definitely common land.

Puppy mouse 24 Jul 2020
In reply to apwebber:

If anyone could send me a pdf as well, that would be amazing! Thanks in advance. Sam.

Dubious Spoon 24 Jul 2020

I'd really appreciate a copy of the PDF too, thanks!

Mittens 26 Jul 2020
In reply to apwebber:

Hi, can I get in on this email action as well and get a copy of the PDF also. Thanks!

The Pylon King 26 Jul 2020
In reply to apwebber:

Dont send it out to all the bloody indoor wall climbers. The access is sensitive there already!

jimmccall 11 Aug 2020
In reply to apwebber:

If you have the time, I would very much appreciate a copy of that pdf...

Thanks!

Jim 

august1929 15 Aug 2020

The woodland borders SSSIs at Browns Folly and the entire Limpley Stoke Valley - quite a unique landscape. Whether on private or public access land the boulders are in rare ancient woodland that is getting trashed at the road/layby edge.

Please don't let that extend into the woodland itself. It has already seen a lot more traffic than normal this year and increased foot fall has been uprooting ferns, mosses and other plants on approaches to the various boulders. Not good.  Some unpleasant rubbish recently picked up from below Yew Tree Slab...not the worst sort, but bad enough...

Re the ticks, yes there are plenty of them - deer ticks that carry Lyme's disease (Google it) a pretty serious disease if it isn't diagnosed. I know two people local to Sally who have developed long term health conditions from contracting it. In my experience, even long trousers don't always act as a deterrent

Rod

RCW84 30 Aug 2020

If anyone could send me the PDF also I would be most grateful!  

august1929 31 Aug 2020

Following on from my last post, was at Sally today, starting at Yew Tree Slab - noticed that someone has been ticking the holds, unfortunately not with chalk (removeable) but with a stone or other hard implement in order to make sure you will always see that X ( or multiple X's) mark the spots...has defaced the rock and is rather a sad thing for someone to think they should do.

What have been ticked are the monos and more marginal holds, so presumably not a beginner...

Well done, whoever it was...

Rod

Post edited at 14:41
In reply to august1929:

I would just like to second this. I've been coming to Sally for a few years now and the increase in footfall is obvious. Just 2/3 years ago it was relatively wild, but is now quite degraded on approach to the rocks. Please can I also encourage people to check for litter, not deface the rocks and stick to the most trodden paths. I've also seen these tickmarks today - totally stupid. Please have some respect for the rock and this beautiful patch of woodland. 

P.s. The rubbish in the lay-by I don't put down to climbers, but it will inevitably be linked to us if we also trash the woodland. 

TheMightySquig 14 Sep 2020
In reply to apwebber:

Could I get a copy of this fabled PDF? Was planning a trip up soon and was going to do it blind, would be nice to have some documentation.

MJ720 27 Sep 2020

Just returned to the area, if there is someone who could send me the PDF also or let me know if this venue appears in any guides then it would be much appreciated

seankenny 27 Sep 2020
In reply to MJ720:

I'd also appreciate a pdf if anyone has the time and inclination.

Sabrina Brooke 29 Sep 2020
In reply to apwebber:

If anyone has the time the pdf would be much appreciated

many thanks 

shepman 05 Oct 2020
In reply to apwebber:

I'd really appreciate a copy of the PDF guide too, if someone could send it to me.

Thanks

Tony the Blade 05 Oct 2020
In reply to shepman:

PM sent

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...