UKC

St Bees bouldering

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tommy Harris 02 Aug 2021

Morning All, I'm heading to the lakes on a family trip next week, Always wanted to check out the bouldering at St Bees so may venture out whilst up there, can anyone advise if it's family friendly? We have 2 small children and a dog. 

Thanks in advance 

In reply to Tommy Harris:

The tricky bit could be the approach, it's quite steep and felt a bit sketchy when loaded up with mats and a bag (personal opinion).

I can see it being tricky for small kids and a dog but then I don't know how confident your kids and dog are.

there may be other easier approaches but that was the guidebook approach we used. 

afx22 02 Aug 2021

Getting down the cliff is fairly challenging.  

There are 3 ways down.  I preferred the central way down but even on that there’s a section where you need to hold a rope to get down.

I also tried the supposedly easier but longer path from the North but found that harder.  Like grade 1 or 2 scrambling but a couple of bouldering mats each makes it somewhat adventurous.

In reply to afx22:

> Getting down the cliff is fairly challenging.  

For Rockfax Digital subscribers, we have just released a full St. Bees sport routes package. This doesn't have the bouldering in it however it does have a clear overview of the approach with a recent description.

Overview photo attached.

Alan

Post edited at 10:34

JLS 02 Aug 2021

As others have said the approach isn't family friendly.

Fleswick Bay might be a better option.

afx22 02 Aug 2021
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

That’s a great photo.  Very useful.

I found Descent 1 was best.  Descent 2 was easier to get down but was much harder to get along the bottom to the boulders.

I have only used the fisherman's steps descent, terrifying but stable, and the roped descent, less terrifying but also less stable. Nether would be suitable for kids, fisherman's steps not suitable for dogs.

There is a 3rd option, walking further north then boulder hopping to the cliff. This is supposed to be more friendly but I have no experience.

Better options might be the boulders accessed from the North of St Bees beach, tidal approach iirc or fleswick Bay if the shingle is in, things can be rather scary if it is out.

Both beaches good for kids, St Bees sandy, fleswick pebbles. 

OP Tommy Harris 02 Aug 2021

Thanks for all the info guys, much appreciated, maybe il drop the wife and kids to the beach and head there alone..  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...