UKC

Why do people sometimes remove videos from UKC logbooks?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stone elworthy 30 Nov 2023

I really appreciate the linked videos on the UKC logbooks. I recently was totally stumped on a boulder problem, looked at the videos, tried the various beta on offer and one way worked a treat (the others didn't!). I verbally described the great beta to others at the crag and they too found it transformative. But I looked again and the video was no longer linked and also no longer on you-tube. I was just curious as to whether people have experienced a downside to sharing beta videos. Presumably the video was taken down for a reason which seems sad as it was such an inspiring and instructive display of technique. 

Climber_Bill 30 Nov 2023
In reply to stone elworthy:

Shock horror - Stone goes bouldering!!

Sorry Stone, couldn't resist that.

You're right though, the videos are a fantastic resource, both for getting beta and just entertainment.

As for your question, there could be numerous reasons. If the climber was sponsored, perhaps the sponsors wanted to host it on their own site or the climber changed sponsors. The climber could just have decided they don't want a social media presence anymore.

CB.

Edit - Great video of you on Caviar by the way.

Post edited at 15:45
 mutt 01 Dec 2023
In reply to Climber_Bill:

Isn't bouldering at its best when two or more climbers work a route without beta? Perhaps the OP had an epiphany and realised that they have set up a send-train devaluing the experience of everyone that follows. These beta videos are hard to turn away from I know especially when its a hard trad line. better they are removed.

alx 01 Dec 2023
In reply to stone elworthy:

Until guidebooks are more specific on what is “in” for holds or where the route goes then videos are a far better resource.

slawrence1001 01 Dec 2023
In reply to mutt:

Isn't it up to the climber who views the video to make that decision? Having the resource there doesn't mean everyone is going to use it.

If someone is stuck on a problem and wants help with beta why shouldn't they? The climber who cares about ethics won't watch it either way

ebdon 01 Dec 2023
In reply to mutt:

What's the difference between watching a friend and watching a video? As someone who boulders on there own a lot and likes to climb on my limit these things are a fantastic resource.  

In reply to mutt:

I both like puzzling out beta and also learning from seeing others (either in person or via video). I normally do a mixture -1) try it myself and fail, 2) watch others and then fail doing that, 3) try my own variant on their beta and fail, 4) go back to their beta but try harder and eventually succeed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...