UKC

Cressbrook Mill footbridge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stone elworthy 03 Feb 2024

Apparently there is more chance of getting the Moat Buttress/WCJ Cornice access bridge reopened if they can get lots of people donating and so show grant body it's wanted https://peakdistrict.enthuse.com/cf/cressbrook-mill-bridge

In reply to stone elworthy:

Kinda pisses me off seeing the pdnpa with their cap in hand for this, which you would argue is one of their basic responsibilities, after years of watching them spend inordinate sums on things nobody asked for.

minimike 03 Feb 2024
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

Apparently it’s going to cost 20k to remove it. It’s wood.. round our way people are ripping fence posts out of the ground to burn for fuel…

remus Global Crag Moderator 03 Feb 2024
In reply to minimike:

> Apparently it’s going to cost 20k to remove it. It’s wood.. round our way people are ripping fence posts out of the ground to burn for fuel…

According to the engineers report that was commissioned the entire structure is unsafe, including the wooden bits, the I-beams that make up the span and the foundations the whole thing rests on. 

Bulls Crack 03 Feb 2024

It's not a public right of way and I'm guessing the bridge is not actually theirs so may be down their list of priorities? 

Philb1950 03 Feb 2024

Everybody I know just uses it as normal. 

DizzyT 03 Feb 2024
In reply to Philb1950:

It was fine when I walked over it an hour ago.

minimike 03 Feb 2024
In reply to DizzyT:

Oh so it’s YOUR fault..

In reply to minimike:

It'll remove itself for free. Build another one nearby if the foundations are banjaxed anyway and leave it be. Saved you 20k pdnpa. You're welcome.

In reply to Philb1950:

> Everybody I know just uses it as normal. 

yeah, same. Removing it without replacement is the most tw*&ish course of action available. So that's what pdnpa will do.

I think that would be tricky. Upstream isn't going to work as it's too wide. Downstream you struggle with access but it's physically more feasible. Like most people I've been using it as normal but it is definitely getting worse, the foot planks are considerably more rotten than even just two years ago. I don't take the kids across it anymore.

In reply to Somerset swede basher:

> I think that would be tricky. Upstream isn't going to work as it's too wide. Downstream you struggle with access but it's physically more feasible. 

Why couldn't it go over the weir? 

For £200k you could pay someone with good wellies to give piggy back rides full time for the period it's been closed.

Just to the right? Yeah, potentially. Might go for a run over that way in the week and take a look!

Stoney Boy 03 Feb 2024

I'd rather the roads get fixed around here first before we speed up the approach to Moat...

stani 04 Feb 2024

I'll do that!! Cracking idea!!

Will it be you or the PDNP i should send my invoice to...?

Sam Beaton 04 Feb 2024

It's not one of their "basic responsibilities" , it's not a PROW and the NP doesn't own the bridge or the land

Sam Beaton 04 Feb 2024

>  yeah, same. Removing it without replacement is the most tw*&ish course of action available. So that's what pdnpa will do.

The landowner (not the NP) might do that if the money can't be raised to replace it. Otherwise they will be liable for any accidents

In reply to Sam Beaton:

> The landowner (not the NP) might do that if the money can't be raised to replace it. Otherwise they will be liable for any accidents

It's pretty obviously closed. They've made it really quite hard to use. Nobody's going to be able to pretend they didn't know it was shut so I can't see that being an issue.

Sam Beaton 04 Feb 2024

I can. I have lots of professional experience of identical issues

Simon 05 Feb 2024

I think it deserves supporting, I'm pleased the National Park Authority have organised this, they didn't have to.

£11,000 raised so far on the crowdfunder. I chipped in a bit, always good to contrubute to something that I've used so many times & to help the access situation, especially as the BMC are contributing £10,000 from the ACT fund too.

The MOD built the old bridge and the land around it is owned by several different bodies incliuding Derbyshire Wildlife Trust (DWT) & Cressbrook & Litton Flyfishers Club etc.

Lots of people use it for the loop walk in the area and there are other bridges downsteam which help connect this.

Ramon Marin 07 Feb 2024
In reply to remus:

I understand that if they take on the job they will have to do it well. But considering that with 200k you can build a house in some parts of the country seems pretty steep for a footbridge. I really want to contribute but if it's going to be crowdfunded then we should have a say in its design.

In reply to Ramon Marin:

> seems pretty steep for a footbridge. 

https://www.coulsonsbridges.co.uk/prices

I presume installation costs and standard local government procurement incompetence will make up the difference. 

And don't forget £20k of it has to go on hiring a chav with a Molotov to get rid of the old one.

McHeath 08 Feb 2024

Concerning payment, from the footbridge website: „We would prefer bank transfer…“

Seems fair enough, since that’s what the users of their bridges will also be getting 

(gets coat)

In reply to McHeath:

> Concerning payment, from the footbridge website: „We would prefer bank transfer…“

> Seems fair enough, since that’s what the users of their bridges will also be getting 

> (gets coat)

Payment in advance would be out of the question then, since there's no way the money could get from one bank to the other. Unless there was some pier to pier lending involved.

Post edited at 04:09
 mountainbagger 08 Feb 2024

> Payment in advance would be out of the question then, since there's no way the money could get from one bank to the other. Unless there was some pier to pier lending involved.

Or an alternative income stream

johncook 08 Feb 2024

Couldn't they persuade that woman who was building the expensive hippy commune up the dale to pay for it? She seems to have plenty of cash which she can't now spend up the dale!

McHeath 08 Feb 2024
In reply to mountainbagger:

Wye not?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...