UKC

Gouther - nesting bords

Al Doig 28 Mar 2024

Are birds nesting at Gouther? If so, what restrictions are in place? Thanks. 

Graeme Hammond 28 Mar 2024
In reply to Al Doig:

If you go on the ukc logbook crag front page it says restricted via the RAD box implying the whole crag is banned 1st march - 30th june.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/gouther_crags-485/

However if you click to go to go to RAD itself it says 

"Bird restrictions covering March through till the end of June sometimes apply on NE buttress and boulders below."

Where sometimes is the important word and the NE buttress is not a popular part of the crag anyway so easily avoided.

It also doesn't appear on the 2024 list of bird restrictions on the FRCC website this year:

https://www.frcc.co.uk/bird-restrictions/#:~:text=The%20annual%20restrictio....

Hopefully a local/access rep can clarify the situation this year.

OP Al Doig 28 Mar 2024
In reply to Graeme Hammond:

Thanks Graeme, the fact that there isn’t a definitive answer that I could find is slightly frustrating. I’m sure I read somewhere that restrictions would be on a sign at the crag. Useful? 

Jon Read 28 Mar 2024
In reply to Al Doig:

The last few years bird restrictions have only affected the NE buttress (which isn't even described in the guidebook anymore!) and the bouldering. There was a sign at the crag, if I recall correctly.

deugar 28 Mar 2024
In reply to Al Doig:

Hi all. Thanks for highlighting this. Gouther is currently UNRESTRICTED.

As the commenters note, the FRCC site does not list it as restricted; the BMC RAD says restrictions 'sometimes' apply and does not list a current restriction; yet the UKC page has a banner saying it is restricted. I am following this up to ensure all pages are consistent.

As commented, peregrines have in the past nested on the NE Buttress, but this is not currently considered to warrant a site restriction. As ever, please do report back any sightings of potentially disturbed birds and be aware that restrictions can change within the breeding season.

Thanks again

Gilbert Roberts

FRCC Bird Restrictions rep

OP Al Doig 29 Mar 2024
In reply to deugar:

Thank you. 

Loading Notifications...