UKC

Guy's Rift

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 24 Apr 2021

Can anyone tell me if Guy's Rift in Slaughterford, Wiltshire is on public land. My son has made some enquiry's with locals whilst trying to find it in Slaughterford who seem to think it is on private land.

Can anyone who has accessed it or with local knowledge let me know please.

deepstar 24 Apr 2021
In reply to Removed UserGarry Young:

Hmm, you've just registered today on UKC, are you or your son a climber. If not, why would you want to know?

Removed User 24 Apr 2021

Yes we both climb. We normally climb at the indoor climbing centre in Bristol but this is much nearer to where we live. 

Lankyman 24 Apr 2021

Look on an OS map - if it's shaded that pale brown/yellow colour then it is open access for walking across. It almost certainly is private given that virtually everything in the UK is owned by someone. But CRoW access law does give us some rights.

Removed User 24 Apr 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

Thanks for the useful reply. I thought that it would be best to check first.

deepsoup 24 Apr 2021

Access land is shown as Lankyman describes on a 1:25k OS map, but not a 1:50k.  If you don't happen to have a copy you can get a look at it online via Bing. 

https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=25dbd712-c3f8-42f1-96c5-758e90c155b3&cp=...

It isn't on access land, but that doesn't necessarily mean you can't go there.  Especially if you can get there from a public footpath without crossing any fences or trampling any crops.  It's usually a good idea to be discreet, and very careful about how/where you park if you drive there.

The BMC RAD (Regional Access Database) can be a good place to check the access situation for a crag that you're not sure of.  (But I just had a quick look and apparently it has no entry for Guy's Rift.)

It's also on the database here: Guy's Rift, aka Cloud Quar...
I see that deepstar is the crag moderator.  (A volunteer who checks new information and updates the database as required.)  So perhaps there's some back story he's not telling us to explain his somewhat suspicious and hostile reply to you above, concerns about access, the place being abused in some way or something like that maybe.

who have you spoke to locally? i know the owners of the paper mill and the farmer on weavern lane..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...