UKC

keeping a low profile at Fairy Steps?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Now that we’ve moved up here from the Peak,  Fairy Steps is my nearest cragging, about 15 minutes walk. 

It’s been years since I last climbed there. So wrt bouldering, does ‘keeping a low profile’ mean ‘don’t carry a mat in’? I’ll be happy going old skool with a beer towel if necessary. Thanks for any intel. 

net 31 May 2023
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

I think big groups/lots of power screaming/mess would be not keeping a low profile (but that goes without saying anyway, ha!). I've not had issues with a bouldering mat on the upper levels (Whin Scar/Steps). 

The lower section (Aeon etc) is more problematic because it's near the pheasant pens.

In reply to net:

Brill, I guessed it would be something like that. I’ll have a wander around on Friday. The Dallam Estate own some other woods around Storth where there are some small limestone walls which will be ok for bouldering, but the local word again is to be discreet.

Graeme Hammond 31 May 2023

Also in addition to the above

No dogs,

No boom boxes,

No highly visible euro clothing,

Going easy on the chalk/ brushing it off after,

Minimal or better still no vegetation removal

No damaging fences, 

No parking like a dick in passing places/gateways/near houses, walk further if required.

No litter, pick up any you find

Ps need to change your profile name

Post edited at 17:32
 Arms Cliff 31 May 2023

Not had any issues there visiting over the past few years at weekends, mainly around the Walk Away, Ash Tree wall area. The only area I’ve heard of any issues is at Shuck’s Lair, which is directly adjacent to pens, although quite a few people have been climbing there over the last few years with no incidents, so not sure if they have moved the pens elsewhere 

In reply to Graeme Hammond:

37 years living in Sheff/Froggatt, finding it difficult to commit to profile name change 😩

Most likely to have neighbourhood watch in Storth on my trail, walking though with a pad on my back.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...