/ Peak District Ring Ouzels

Greylag - on 31 Mar 2019

They're back... I'm sure those concerned already know but on arriving at Stanage Pop car park this morning there was a single bird calling

Heard calls all day, then saw three when belaying from the top of Inverted V.

Never saw them 'in' the crag though. 

Cheers, 

Stuart. 

mrphilipoldham - on 31 Mar 2019
In reply to Greylag:

There was one at Bamford the other week, just below Porthole too. 

outdoors.nick on 31 Mar 2019
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

They were at Burbage North today too. Didn't see them on any "routes" but worth knowing they're about.

brianjcooper on 31 Mar 2019
In reply to Greylag:

I've got a great photo' of an Ouzel taken at Stanage a few years ago. It even posed for me too.

Kim - on 01 Apr 2019
In reply to Greylag:

Hi all,

Thanks for the sightings info – there seems to have been a good early influx this year (the first bird back I know of was on 20th March) with lots of sightings across the area over the last few days.

If anyone wants to help with records you can log any sightings through the Moors for the Future “MoorWILD” app – links here https://www.natural-apptitude.co.uk/project/moorwild/ If you stick it on your phone then whenever you’re out and about you can quickly log sightings with automatic location etc. I have access to all the records which we can use to help locate/protect nest sites.

If you think you’ve seen a bird visiting a nest site (that doesn’t already have signs up) then it would be really helpful if you make a note of the route or buttress and email me direct (through the UKC email link above is fine). Though we’re unlikely to see much nesting activity (and thus restrictions) until mid-April at least.

We also have a team of fantastic BMC (and others) volunteers helping locate and monitor nest sites - some more general info here: https://www.visit-eastern-moors.org.uk/wildlife/birds/ring-ouzels/

Cheers,

Kim (Ecologist / Ring Ouzel Project / Eastern Moors Partnership)

ashtond6 - on 04 Apr 2019
In reply to Kim:

Hi Kim, do you know which routes are banned at higgar tor?

Kim - on 05 Apr 2019
In reply to ashtond6:

None at present. It always depends on where the birds choose to nest. You'll probably be fine for the next couple of weeks at least. There's often not many routes restricted at Higger as they frequently nest in the boulders below.

ashtond6 - on 05 Apr 2019
In reply to Kim:

Thanks for the update kim, has this changed?  I went for a walk on Wednesday and there was a sign up below the leaning block - however i dont remember which routes it listed   

Do you think routes right of surform will be ok?

Thanks again

Kim - on 05 Apr 2019
In reply to ashtond6:

Ah right - no, that'll be an old sign. There was a nest left of the leaning block last year and 2 or 3 of the signs disappeared. I found one last week in the middle of a random path so I guess you've found one of the others. I'll grab it sometime soon. Definitely no restrictions at present!

ashtond6 - on 05 Apr 2019
In reply to Kim:

Fab! Thank you if you want me to put it somewhere, happy to do so 

deacondeacon - on 05 Apr 2019
In reply to ashtond6:

What you trying up there Johnny?  

Kim - on 20 Apr 2019

In reply to:

The first restrictions are now up at Stanage. I won't post them all up here but I'll flag up any more popular stuff. So Balcony Buttress area (Popular End) and Strangler area (Plantation) currently have birds nest-building and signs up. Unfortunate timing with the Easter weekend, but they were undeterred by the crowds yesterday, and still hard at work this morning.

Kim - on 28 Apr 2019
In reply to Kim:

Signs up this morning for a new pair, covering Manchester Buttress to Grotto Slab inclusive (this includes Heather Wall) at Popular End. 

Please pass the word on to any instructors/centres/etc you know, as this area is heavily used by groups, never mind being some of the most popular routes on the crag. They'll need some good fortune to succeed here.

In reply to Greylag:

Whilst this isn't necessarily Stanage, it's worth mentioning that there is a pair nesting in/around Wrinkled Wall (VS 4c) at Bamford Edge. The signs are up, so that should be enough, but spread the word if you happen to be out/about in that area this weekend.

n.b. I've changed the title of the thread to 'Peak District Ring Ouzels', as it could be useful for this to encompass crags beyond Stanage

Post edited at 11:53
cragtyke on 09 May 2019
In reply to Kim:

The signs for the Agony Crack and Balcony Buttress area weren't in place earlier this week, I think they were there last week. Has the nesting in that area been unsuccessful and the signs removed?

Kim - on 09 May 2019
In reply to cragtyke:

> The signs for the Agony Crack and Balcony Buttress area weren't in place earlier this week, I think they were there last week. Has the nesting in that area been unsuccessful and the signs removed?

Sadly yes. The pair have relocated it seems, location currently unknown. Probably predated rather than any disturbance issue.

I'll try and update when signs are removed too from any nests mentioned in this thread (one of the reasons we don't flag up all restrictions is they can change day-by-day with nest failures/successes, and things can get confusing!).

cragtyke on 09 May 2019
In reply to Kim:

Thanks Kim, shame .

Michael Morrell - on 12 May 2019
In reply to Greylag:

Hey Kim, Dont suppose you know if the Tippler area at Stanage is out of bounds? Thanks 🙂

Post edited at 17:43
EarlyBird - on 12 May 2019
In reply to Michael Morrell:

There were parties on Tippler buttress today - I think there're restrictions in Manchester Buttress area.

Kim - on 12 May 2019
In reply to Michael Morrell:

Yes that's right - Tippler is fine. Only current Popular End restriction is Manchester Buttress/Heather Wall area.

In reply to EarlyBird:

Cheers! 

In reply to Kim:

Thanks Kim! 

Chris_Cole on 14 May 2019
In reply to Greylag:

Signs now up around Strangler area Stanage Plantation. Also suspected site Wall End Slab where signs may go up today. Thought that these are the birds whose nest was predated at Balcony Buttress.

Kim - on 14 May 2019
In reply to Chris_Cole:

Actually signs now DOWN at Strangler area (they've been up for a couple of weeks), this nest has failed unfortunately. So it's likely this pair which have moved to Wall End Slab, as it's probably within their territory.

Signs going up this afternoon, will cover Help the Aged etc. plus Wall End Slab itself.

In reply to everyone:

Hi All,

Quick update from Bamford this morning: sadly the pair nesting in/around the Wrinkled Wall area have abandoned their nest. Unsure as to whether this is due to disturbance, or because of one of the adult Ring Ouzels having been predated, but either way the result is much the same. As such, the signs are down and the routes are ok to climb once again.

Fingers crossed for the other two pairs in/around the crag, who are due to fledge later this week.

Thanks to everyone who's abided by the notice and taken an interest in them.