UKC

Public transport access notes in the crag directory

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Is there any possibility that people knowledgable of the various crags around the country would consider expanding the access descriptions in the UKC directory to include how to get there by public transport, where possible? 

I'm a car-free Londoner who uses train and foot to get to my preferred bouldering areas around the South of England and, now that I'm looking to try various areas in the Peak District, am discovering that almost all the access notes assume you're driving. For example, the Rockfax Peak Bouldering guide has a single paragraph at the beginning about train options but, when you go to the various crag sections that are mentioned as being accessible by public transport, the approach directions are exclusively car-based. Likewise, when looking at the same crags on the UKC directory, they don't mention public transport options for access.

Given the climate crisis and the general approach of respecting the rock and the surroundings, it feels weird we still have a mostly car-exclusive approach to access and don't think about suggesting alternative more eco-friendly approaches where feasible.

gooberman-hill 11 Oct 2023
In reply to artificialtrees:

I was just thinking the same the other day, as I was thinking about another trip by train to West Penwith.

Public transport notes would be really helpful - things like knowing that you can get a bus from Penzance to Bosigran - but not on a Sunday, so you want to plan your weekend around the S coast on a Sunday. 

I guess you don't want to get too specific, as stuff changes. But even a basic understanding of how to get to near by public transport, which crags are accessible by public transport, and where the nearest bus stop is (and maybe what days it runs) would be really helpful. 

You know what - I'm a crag moderator - so I will add this info for the  Lillaz.

Agreed, where possible this would be incredibly useful 

Dr Toph 12 Oct 2023

Agreed

duchessofmalfi 12 Oct 2023
In reply to Dr Toph:

It would probably need a strict convention that all information was properly dated and a boilerplate warning about "services may change please check"...

Public transport is a lot more volatile, transient and seasonal than other access information!

Post edited at 09:27
 Godwin 12 Oct 2023

The information you require is readily available. Open the google maps part of the crag info on UKC , enter your start post code, then select public transport from the options in google maps. You can then play around with arrive and depart times. I very much doubt that many crag moderators would have the time to keep up to date with local bus time tables.

Something to note is that Uber is not as wide spread as it would at first appear. I got off the train at Penzance and tried to book an Uber to Bosi, after prior research had led me to believe the cost would be IIRC £12 ish. Apparently Uber does not actually operate there and a taxi cost £30. The return train from Lancashire was only about £100. The buses to Bosi do not run in the evening, just to St Just, a Taxi from there to Bosi is £17.

If stopping in a hut having a supermarket deliver is a worthwhile option.

I am trying to use more public transport, but it is the last few miles which seem to knock it on the head.

From the HS2 thing which I have no comment on, one positive is that the maximum single bus fare will remain at £2, so thank heaven for small mercies.

Possibly more hitchhiking is the way ahead?

Climber_Bill 12 Oct 2023
In reply to Godwin:

>  I very much doubt that many crag moderators would have the time to keep up to date with local bus time tables.

A lot of public transport companies make their live arrivals and departure etc. information available via publicly accessible api's, similar to weather forecast data.

The api could be used to consume and include live public transport data for crags. There would be some work involved, but it is possible.

Maybe something the BMC should be helping out with. Access for all, not just car owners.

CB.

In reply to Godwin:

> The information you require is readily available. Open the google maps part of the crag info on UKC , enter your start post code, then select public transport from the options in google maps. You can then play around with arrive and depart times. I very much doubt that many crag moderators would have the time to keep up to date with local bus time tables.

This.

I'd rther have no info on the crag pages than out of date info, and with the best will there's no chance every crag will be kept up to date as routes and timetables change. 
Best compromise IMO would be to make sure there's an an accurate location, then maybe think about a link to google directions or similar that will work it out for you based on current timetables.

gooberman-hill 12 Oct 2023
In reply to duchessofmalfi:

I think the important thing is to make the information better available, so people can make choices. At a minimum it would be good to have info to enable people to easily understand whether public transport is an option to get to a crag - like where is the nearest bus-stop or train station.

You are absolutely right that things change. So more detailed information should be flagged with a date. 

UKC folks: Might it be possible to put a flag in for a crag so it can be marked as easily accessible by public transport. That would enable one to filter for crags that are accessible by public transport.

Jenny C 12 Oct 2023
In reply to gooberman-hill:

Yes keep it vague so info doesn't go out of date. 

But in the case of The Peak, for example -  Sheffield/Bakewell bus service, nearest stop (year of publication) is five minutes from crag on A... road.

A link to local bus providers would also be useful, so visitors can find timetables more easily. Even as someone living on the main bus route out of Sheffield I have always got horribly confused once you cross into Derbyshire, the services (at least historically) were always expensive and poorly linked to the South Yorkshire Transport network.

In reply to Jenny C:

Single bus fares are £2 even when crossing county boundaries. So it is £2 on the 272 that goes via the Fox House, Surprise View on it's way to Castleton.

Jenny C 12 Oct 2023
In reply to Graeme Alderson:

Ok I am VERY out of date. Prices used to sky rocket when you got past Fox House - even child fares.

(It was cheaper to get to Leeds on a day pass than to Hathersage on just one bus)

Godwin 13 Oct 2023

It is amusing to note the broad spectrum that climbing covers from Yates and Fowler https://www.ukclimbing.com/news/2023/10/mick_fowler_and_simon_yates_endure_... and a donkey for two days to get to the crag, past snipers, through to people struggling to cope with Bus time tables. (does that sound like people on donkeys are trying to get to people struggling with Bus time tables?)

Possibly UKC crag moderators could flag up crags with Donkey approaches so they are easily searchable.

Post edited at 07:42
In reply to Godwin:

The problem with this approach is that it doesn't tell you if the journey Google proposes is actually feasible, which is why having local knowledge about public transport around a crag would be invaluable. 

One example from a crag I know well is where Google Maps will direct you to a train station much further away, followed by a bus that's often too small to realistically take more than one pad, as opposed to people who know the crag knowing there's another train station plus a short hike that is a much better approach, yet Google Maps doesn't recognise it as an option at all.

It doesn't need to be precise and accurate, down to the route numbers, departure times etc, just at the level of "public transport options non-existent or difficult" through "expect to need a taxi for the last leg" to "there's a bus stop 10-mins walk from the crag and x/y/z train stations nearby".

Godwin 13 Oct 2023

Ahh, I see, I must apologise, you did say in the OP that you are bouldering, and carry matts does bring certain problems. TBH I would never have considered taking my bouldering pad on a bus, but I would on a train. Good luck with your quest.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...