/ December film thread

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Offwidth 01 Dec 2019

An oustanding movie from last nights pre-recorded viewing:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/boyhood

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boyhood_(film)

I'd completely forgotten the history of its conception until obvious changes in the actors made it obvious. Such a brave high risk project, given everything that could have gone wrong, and I'm so pleased it worked out as well as it did. Highly recommended.

Blue Straggler 01 Dec 2019
In reply to Offwidth:

They didn’t change any actors, did they? I thought that was part of the point? 

Offwidth 01 Dec 2019
In reply to Blue Straggler:

The actors changed themselves, as people will over time, yes that was the point....

....just finished another great little movie, Rams, but boy is the life protrayed in it, in Iceland, bleak, even for the film's black comedy, and the island's landscape... definitely worth a watch.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/rams

Blue Straggler 01 Dec 2019
In reply to Offwidth:

> The actors changed themselves, as people will over time, yes that was the point....

Your phrasing isn’t coming across very clearly, that’s all. Someone that didn’t know the film would not know what you are on about. I do know the film and still needed to get you to clarify what you meant. 

Film should have been called Motherhood and released as a double bill with Michael Caton-Jones’ underrated and forgotten “This Boy’s Life”

Blue Straggler 03 Dec 2019
In reply to Offwidth:

I watched the new Charlie’s Angels film but I’d rather not talk about it 

Offwidth 08:03 Wed

It's how I experienced it... they seem to be ageing....I was pondering how they did that so well... then I thought hang on a minute is this THAT film.

aln 09:26 Wed

> I watched the new Charlie’s Angels film but I’d rather not talk about it 

Possibly your best ever review! 😁

Offwidth 11:06 Wed
In reply to aln:

Last nights film, an epic portrait of a legend

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/marley

The focus is much wider than his music: quite personnal and  political.  It also looks very odd in hindsight just how hard he had to fight to reach a world audience.

In reply to Offwidth:

Knives Out. A wonderful evening's entertainment, the result of a superb script and direction by the obviously exceptionally talented Rian Johnson. I'd normally be reluctant to give a pure entertainment film, lacking in any kind of 'profundity', the top score, but here it's so well accomplished in every way that I'll give it 5 stars. The secret of its success is that it's perfectly pitched. I'm not normally a fan of Daniel Craig - far from it - but here, despite his very wobbly 'American' accent, he hams it up just right. Mind you, he's given some great lines. In fact, the whole cast is uniformly brilliant (e.g. great to see Christopher Plummer again, on v good form). And it's bloody funny in parts. Overall, a gem of a movie, really well directed.

Post edited at 00:29
Blue Straggler 00:34 Fri
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Well said and I am glad you enjoyed it. I think I mentioned it briefly above (I’ve been a bit too busy to write actual reviews). I would be inclined to 8/10 or 8.5/10 due to some minor niggles but on the whole it was great stuff. I enjoyed the generosity of the ensemble “stars” pretty much “giving” the whole film to Ana de Armas.

Now go and watch your DVD of Game Night is you are in the mood for “pure entertainment without lofty ambitions”

Re. de Armas. Well, the script did that, because she's really the central character.

Blue Straggler 01:12 Fri

I do understand how these things work Gordon. By “generosity” I meant off-camera. All those big names merrily lending their names when in truth they are all supporting roles. All part of Rian Johnson’s master plan presumably  

I guess they were all really impressed by the script, so happy to be a part of it. Even if their parts were quite small. Jamie Lee Curtis perhaps being best example. She didn't have much to work with.

Blue Straggler 01:25 Fri

That was my point. Sorry if it wasn’t clear! 

Tom V 18:32 Fri
In reply to Offwidth:

Motherless Brooklyn.

A beautifully made film, great to look at and for the most part a pleasure to listen to.

I've been thinking for years that Edward Norton can do very little wrong and for me this is just more confirmation.

Surprisingly it actually seemed less than its quoted running time.

Offwidth 14:36 Sat
In reply to Tom V:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/letters_from_baghdad

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b095vnm7/letters-from-baghdad

Letters from Baghdad is a highly impressive and unusual construction:  formed just from Gertrude Bell's letters and other's in reply, and communiques about her at the time. It's surprisingly important today...the story of the formation of Iraq resonates with its modern fate, as does that of the politics of oil. She was a truely remarkable woman: explorer, adventurer, diplomat, and political advisor who lived on equal terms with the leading men of the time, and this film does her justice as much as its length could.  It's flaws are based in that length:  so much she said and did, had to be covered only briefly, notably her mountaineering interests  (for those you need to read her words).

Post edited at 14:37
Blue Straggler 23:41 Sat
In reply to Tom V:

I didn’t like Motherless Brooklyn. 5.5/10. 

Blue Straggler 23:43 Sat
In reply to Offwidth:

Sounds interesting, I got 45 minutes into Werner Herzog’s Bell film last week but as jist watching too late at night and nodded off, no judgement on my part 

Blue Straggler 23:46 Sat
In reply to Tom V:

Motherless Brooklyn WAS less than the quoted 144 mins unless it had really long end credits. I actually missed the end as I nipped out to the loo for 70 seconds assuming there was ten minutes left, and came back in to see credits rolling. It says a lot for the film that I wasn’t that bothered and have not yet looked up the plot synopsis to see what the ending was . Good acting .

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.