UKC

January Film Thread

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.

The Lost Daughter has recently arrived on Netflix and I highly recommend checking it out if you subscribe. It's a continuously unsettling psychodrama starring the always excellent Olivia Coleman as a middle-aged professional woman alone on a small Greek island for a working holiday. It shifts restlessly in time, back and forth to her childhood and her marriage, where her younger self is played by Jesse Buckley, who I thought was outstanding in what is a top class cast, also featuring Dakota Johnson and Jack Farthing. I wouldn't be surprised if both Coleman and Buckley pick up Oscar nominations. One of the things I found most impressive about the film was its unpredictability of tone and direction which creates a powerful tension and unease, maintained right through to the enigmatic ending. All in all, a superb directorial debut from Maggie Gyllenhall and a fascinating comparison with Campion's psychodrama The Power of the Dog. 8/10.

Tom Valentine 04 Jan 2022
In reply to Andy Clarke:

The Net also a recent Netflix film, slightly worrying to see it described as a period piece but......

Excellent  drama, Law as good as he's ever been and Coon at the top of her game, showing what a very fine actress she really is. I gave up with Fargo but now that I've seen she's in S3 I might have to revisit.

Jon Stewart 07 Jan 2022
In reply to Andy Clarke:

I'd heard that talked about it, will check it out. Can't doubt Coleman's stamp of approval.

On a roughly related unsettling motherhood theme, I just watched Julieta (Almodovar, 2016) which is one of his I'd never seen. More consistently tragic than his roller-coaster melodramas, and tremendous. Less of the drugs and drag in this one, more down-the-line dense drama. 8/10

Offwidth 07 Jan 2022
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Finally got round to watching Parasite last night. Up with the best films I've ever seen: an incredibly clever social critique of the contrasting and interacting domestic lives of the rich and poor under modern capitalism,  that is so watchable,  constantly surprising and darkly comedic and close to perfection in direction, acting and cinematography. Just wow!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parasite_(2019_film)

Jon Stewart 07 Jan 2022
In reply to Offwidth:

> Finally got round to watching Parasite last night. Up with the best films I've ever seen

My response exactly!

In reply to Jon Stewart:

Watched it last year, superb.  Like David Lynch and Mike Leigh combo but with more originality. 

Jon Stewart 08 Jan 2022
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

> Like David Lynch and Mike Leigh combo but with more originality. 

Ha!!

I normally hate big oscar winners, that normally marks out the kind of film that's gonna bore me shitless. But oscars + korean? Now we're cooking.

In reply to Tom Valentine:

It took some working out but I assume you mean The Nest not The Net (1995 Sandra Bullock movie)

Tom Valentine 09 Jan 2022
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

Yes, sorry for that.

Also recommend Land,  starring and directed by Robin Wright, a beautiful film about a woman who tries to use off-grid isolation as a solution to her grief.

In reply to Tom Valentine:

> Yes, sorry for that.

> Also recommend Land,  starring and directed by Robin Wright, a beautiful film about a woman who tries to use off-grid isolation as a solution to her grief.

No worries. I may well end up watching thanks to your recommendation.

In reply to Offwidth:

I watched that at the cinema. Enjoyed it immensely and yet it’s not something I would normally choose. 

In reply to Andy Clarke:

I liked The Artist when it came out, a few years ago. It won 3 out of the 6 golden globes ( in 2011) that it was nominated for. It was also nominated for 12 bafta and won 7. 
it’s over ten years ago now though - you probably discussed it at the time. I don’t watch tv or films a lot !!

Jon Stewart 22:51 Fri
In reply to Linda Orritt:

> I liked The Artist when it came out, a few years ago

Never saw it, but everyone raved. Thanks for the reminder

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...