UKC

Mercury Prize

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kevin stephens 20 Sep 2018

What an awful winner, caterwauling tone deaf vocalist - horrible voice, instantly forgettable songs, pissed up unjustifiably arrogant blonde bloke.  There's so much great new music in the UK (on R6 at least) - what are these clowns doing on the TV tonight?

Post edited at 22:37
Removed User 20 Sep 2018
In reply to kevin stephens:

I was thinking the same. Imagine being one of the other finalists sitting their thinking "We lost out to that? WTF?"

BrendanO 20 Sep 2018

Don't worry about it -according to commentators on R4 Today prog this morning, it's irrelevant, and young people haven't heard of the award.

i have to admit that neither Gallacher nor Arctic Monkeys seem new and groundbreaking...but then PJ Harvey (who I like LOTS) won it twice, so you don't need to be newish.

Here's a positive finish - who would you have given it to?

Ardo 20 Sep 2018
In reply to BrendanO:

Nadine Shah or Sons of Kemet: interesting, challenging and different.

Chris the Tall 21 Sep 2018

I rather expected to find a thread slagging them off, but very disappointed by the fact that you haven’t had the wit to entitle it “Wolf Alice? Who the f**k are Wolf Alice” or maybe “Call the police, Nadine Shah has been robbed”.

First of all it’s a music award judged on merit by a small group - it’s a notion as defunct as the company it’s named after. Don’t get upset because the fact that they don’t have the same tastes as you. Some previous winners - for example James Blake - make me want to throw things at the radio.

i like them, saw them live early on, got both their albums and reckon that “Moaning Lisa Smile” and “Giant Peach” are some of the best songs i’ve heard in recent years.  Ellie Roswell certainly isn’t tone deaf, I think she has a great voice, but it doesn’t dominate the music too much either.

But I also like what i’ve heard of Nadine Shah, and maybe she would have been a deserving winner, but there was plenty of stuff on the list that left me cold.

Bob Kemp 21 Sep 2018

You sound like my dad, circa 1965.

aln 21 Sep 2018

A pissed arrogant guy in a rock band? I think it's in the job description....

summo 21 Sep 2018

At least Lilly Allen didn't win. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...