UKC

Tanya Roberts, RIP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I was really shocked and deeply saddened to hear of the death of Tanya Roberts today at the premature age of 65. She was such a beautiful person in every way, not just her amazing looks. A really nice, good person. I was very privileged to work with her on 'Sheena, Queen of the Jungle' in 1984, and her loss hurts terribly. Here's a still of her from a lovely birthday message she sent me on my 69th birthday in November 2018, when we showed Sheena at my local cinema: 

https://twitter.com/gordonsta/status/1346060526007316480?s=20

Blue Straggler 04 Jan 2021
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Hi Gordon, I thought of you when I heard this sad news. I am sure, indeed, that having worked with her and stayed in touch, this is very sad for you. 

It was a weird coincidence for me because only last week I watched one of her films (the muddled but weirdly beautifully shot "Hearts and Armour"). 
The BBC news website report seemed unnecessarily mean-spirited, referencing her two "Golden Raspberry" nominations and going on to say that her later 1980s career was a bit crap.
I actually think she is the most unfairly maligned "main" Bond girl - Tanya was fine in the role, it just was blandly written and one of the weaker films. Her performance was perky and spirited, I thought! And her work with animals on Beastmaster and Sheena, came across as quite bold for "just an actress". 

toad 04 Jan 2021

Wasn't she a Charlie's Angel as well?

In reply to Blue Straggler:

She was just so awesomely right for Sheena (crap script apart): I can't imagine anyone else being able to do it better or as well. Her athleticism was absolutely fantastic. And she had that rare thing as a movie star: modesty. There was absolutely nothing of the prima donna about her.

In reply to toad:

Exactly that, that's how she made her name.

GerryC 04 Jan 2021

There are multiple news agencies/internet sites reporting that the announcements of her passing were premature and that she is not in fact dead but gravely ill in hospital Gordon. 

Ridge 04 Jan 2021
In reply to GerryC:

> There are multiple news agencies/internet sites reporting that the announcements of her passing were premature and that she is not in fact dead but gravely ill in hospital Gordon. 

The Guardian have removed their obituary, pending investigation. Maybe best we just leave this thread alone until things become clearer?

In reply to GerryC:

Yes, this is incredible news. Because the death announcement was first put out many hours ago by Mike Pingel, her agent, close friend, and a thoroughly nice guy, why on earth would I doubt it? It seems he himself had been misled. Let's hope's she pulls through.... Fingers crossed. 

Roadrunner6 05 Jan 2021
In reply to marsbar:

Now confirmed she has died.

In reply to Roadrunner6:

Yes, I've just seen that. It's hard to believe that someone who was so fit, and had been out running the day before, should have been struck down so suddenly by some blood infection. I may shortly put up the birthday message she sent me in November 2018.

In reply to Roadrunner6:

Here's the message she sent me. Very poignantly, the last thing she said to me and Freda was 'Hope to see you guys.' Sadly, never to be.

https://bit.ly/394DzDu

65 05 Jan 2021

My condolences Gordon, terribly sad news.

marsbar 05 Jan 2021

I'm sorry for your loss. Bad enough without the premature announcement, I can't even begin to imagine how her partner must feel.  

Lankyman 05 Jan 2021

So sorry to hear, Gordon. These reports of unexpected and early death always make me realise how fragile and tenuous life can be. My father died when only a couple of years older than I am now. Climbing friends of similar age who I remember as fit and healthy have passed away from various diseases. It's all so easy to feel down at heart, especially given all that's going on right now. Wouldn't a time machine be great, to go back and tell everyone how you felt and put things right.

Ridge 05 Jan 2021

Sorry for your loss Gordon.

Blue Straggler 05 Jan 2021

Gordon, thanks for sharing that clip. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...