UKC

The Girl from the North Country

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Clarke 13 Feb 2023

Hi Rob Exile Ward

Can't reply to your original thread because it's been archived...

You asked me to report back when I'd seen the The Girl from the North Country, the “jukebox musical” featuring the songs of Bob Dylan. For those who don't know, it follows the interwoven fates of a disparate cast of characters who live in and drift through a struggling small-town boarding house in Duluth, Minnesota (Dylan's birthplace) during the Great Depression of the 1930's. It was written by the highly-respected Irish playwright Conor McPherson and is currently part-way through a UK tour - which I'd encourage any Dylan fans to catch if they can.

My reaction was very different to yours, Rob. I thought the songs worked extremely well - not primarily to advance the plot, but to express a mood or a theme, whether of a character or a moment or the era as a whole. I was particularly impressed by the numbers from the “Evangelical” period – so much so I dusted all the albums off. (Better than I remember.)

If I had to choose a character to be the titular girl from the north country, it would be Elizabeth, the mother, whose dementia often speaks truths both hilarious and heart-breaking. For me, she was the melancholy soul of the drama. In the current touring production Frances McNamee gives a fantastic performance, including tearing up Like A Rolling Stone. It looks like she'll be played by Olivia Coleman in the forthcoming film. It will be a must-see for me.

PaulW 13 Feb 2023
In reply to Andy Clarke:

I saw the play at an emotional time in my life. Loved it and can't wait for the film.

Known the songs for years, been part of my life but the new interpretations made me consider then differently.

Rob Exile Ward 19 Feb 2023
In reply to Andy Clarke:

Just seen this. I'm pleased you enjoyed it, but you  haven't changed my view I'm afraid, even after the passage of time

Partly I think I knew most of the songs so well, especially the Johnny Cash version of the title song, so the context jarred a bit; and partly because I have quite a high bar for getting fully immersed in stage productions, in fact it rarely happens. My problem, I know!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...