UKC

The magic of live music

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rog Wilko 22 Feb 2023

Today Kendal Midday Concert Club hosted a superb violin and piano duo - two upcoming stars,  Charlotte Salustre-Bridoux from France and Joseph Havlat from Tasmania. It’s the best ten quid I’ve spent for a long time. They played with outstanding vigour to complement their musical talent.

The outstanding item for me and, if the applause is anything to judge by, the rest of the audience as well, was Schubert’s Fantasy in C major D.934. I have a CD which includes this work, but I have never regarded it as a major work. Hearing it live played by two excellent players was a great privilege and certainly changed my view of the piece. There was at least one movement which brought me to the brink of tears, so movingly was it played. Late works by Schubert (he was dead less than a year after this work was written) can have such effects on me. It makes me think he knew he didn’t have long to live, and hearing these late works always make me grieve for his tragically young demise and the works he would have undoubtedly written had he lived longer. It also reminds me of the magic of live music.

This link takes you to Charlotte youtube.com/watch?v=WJ77W1_wAEc&

There’s also a large number of videos of the Fantasy

I’ve also noticed the duo will be performing the Schubert Fantasy again in Morpeth on April 20. Wouldn’t be surprised if we happen to be in the area……

birdie num num 22 Feb 2023
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Mozart Requiem at Liverpool Philharmonic last weekend. I've listened many times but never until now as a live performance.

BusyLizzie 23 Feb 2023
In reply to Rog Wilko:

One of the huge blessings of the end of lockdown was being able to hear live music. Difficult to put into words what makes it so magical.

philipivan 23 Feb 2023
In reply to BusyLizzie:

You could tell how happy musicians were to get playing again. Tori amos was ecstatic and Eric gales was in tears, I'm sure they weren't the only ones, but they were the 2 first gigs I went to. 

Post edited at 09:45
OP Rog Wilko 23 Feb 2023
In reply to philipivan:

Yes, I remember the first live music I went to after covid and the players couldn’t stop smiling the whole time they were playing, which you don’t often see when musicians are tackling the most demanding and difficult music as well as keeping perfect time with one another.

Rob Exile Ward 24 Feb 2023
In reply to Rog Wilko:

You should have seen Winter Wilson at Brigsteer village hall last Friday ... 

PaulW 24 Feb 2023
In reply to Rog Wilko:

We try and go to see music about once a month. Mix of stuff.

And we caught our first dose of COVID in a sweaty cellar watching the Felice Brothers.

totally worth it.

Post edited at 18:46
 Eam1 25 Feb 2023
In reply to Rog Wilko:

My better half spent years telling me how good Stereolab were live. They started playing again, she took me to see them on my birthday. Wow, just wow, brilliant! 

wercat 27 Feb 2023
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

We saw North Sea Gas in Threlkeld the other night.  I was really happy when they played "Kishorn Commandos" as it confirmed that those long lost days were not just a dream

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...