UKC

Youtube algorithm

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jon Stewart 08 Nov 2017
They've got it nailed.

When I go on youtube now, I'm presented with really good, but really obscure music - stuff I've never heard of, that's brand new, and really f*cking good. The algorithm has got my taste absolutely nailed - not many people know that I'd really like a remix of a Fela Kuti tune, or Floating Points collaborating with some afro dude I've never heard of, or maybe Ahmad Jamal Trio live, or some brilliant new band I've never heard of. Seems to have got a ton better just lately. Or maybe it's the same algorithm but I've just put better input in recently.

Nice to see this stuff being used for good rather than ill.

But why don't they try to help out the artists a bit more? I use youtube more than any other source for music, they should just have a "click to download for a quid" button on every tune, surely?
 Oceanrower 08 Nov 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

In my opinion, the likes of Spotify (other streaming services are available) has killed the download market stone cold dead.
 Big Ger 08 Nov 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:
> But why don't they try to help out the artists a bit more? I use youtube more than any other source for music, they should just have a "click to download for a quid" button on every tune, surely?

Why would people want to download it when it's already on youtube?

I agree with your point that the artist shouldn't be expected to give away their stuff.

I put stuff up on soundcloud* not for financial gain, but to annoy my mates.

*Mainly ambient/celtic/celtic ambient/folk/pseudo-classical/deathcore
Post edited at 01:42
OP Jon Stewart 08 Nov 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

> Why would people want to download it when it's already on youtube?

If I think something's great and want to listen to it repeatedly, I'll pay for a download. Better quality, better format to use on different devices, etc, plus I want to support the artist.

For some stuff, the "please give" model seems to be working (maybe, not to sure). If wikipedia give me enough hassle, I'll give'em a fiver. I just gave a fiver to a*block, that kind of thing. It would be dead easy for youtube to encourage this much more, but they seem content to just let the artists go screw themselves, as youtube are getting what they want from the ads. Ads which surely no one puts up with? Just changed computers, and 2.30 into a live performance it was cut into in the middle of a song with an ad. Obviously, I went straight to a*block, no one should ever have to put up with that.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...