UKC

Accessible crag 1-2 hrs from Glasgow

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 13 Apr 2021

Well, I can travel outsie my local next week snd have been busy learning self-belay at my nearest crag but its busy and small.

Anyone recommend a crag as follows?

1-2 hrs drive from Glasgow

OK with a dog (i.e. not next to a road, glass strewn quarry or in the middle of a field of pregnant sheep)

Easy to set up top rope style anchors and suitable for a 40m rope max / single pitch

Climbs in the range of VD to HVS or sport f4 - f6b

Ta

Ed

kwoods 13 Apr 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

First two things come to mind are Craigmore is good in current conditions. The crag is fenced off though have to walk shot way through the farmed area from road to gate. If no grazing in the field below the crag, you can take a direct line from car to crag, avoiding the field on top. The crag is open to the field below but boulders are a bit in the way I don't recall really seeing any sheep there.

Glen Croe middle crag is very well staked on the top and the kinds of grades you mentioned. Don't recall seeing sheep grazing.

A couple obvious local crags come to mind but they don't rule out the urban thing, glass, traffic etc

Toccata 13 Apr 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

Well I taught myself to self belay at Loudon Hill and Neilston Pad. Haven't been to either for 30 years mind.

Edit. Mauchline gorge would be wonderful too. No sheep, overhanging (main wall) although the rock is a little suspect at times.

Post edited at 15:47
OP Flinticus 13 Apr 2021
In reply to Toccata:

Neilston's where I've been going!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...