UKC

Ansteys sun and shade

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 nikolai17 05 Aug 2020

Hi,

Just wondering what time the various different walls at Ansteys are in the sun/ shade?

Any info would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Nick

GDes 05 Aug 2020
In reply to nikolai17:

Empire wall is in the shade until early afternoon.  Ferocity wall gets sun from fairly early, although the rock on Cider Soak and Fisherman's just about stays in the shade for most the morning (but your belayer will fry)

OP nikolai17 05 Aug 2020
In reply to GDes:

Thanks Ged. Presumably most the other walls are similar to ferocity? Do ferocity or any of the others get shade in the evening?

AJM 05 Aug 2020
In reply to nikolai17:

Cider soak etc are in the shade from mid or late afternoon I seem to remember, but the rock may be quite hot by then...

Post edited at 20:44
In reply to GDes:

I'm also just planning a trip here and wondered if you know the sun and shade for torbryan quarry as well?

Also if anyone has been and knows decent van spots they wouldn't mind sharing that would be amazing!  

Cusco 17 Aug 2020
In reply to Emilysaladfingers:

Torbryan is in the shade until mid to late morning and then is in the sun until evening. On really hot, sunny summers days the rock temperature can be too warm for harder red pointing, particularly with the polish, until 9pm when conditions can be perfect. 

I don't know about van spots. But don't stay overnight or even just park in the layby on the left just beyond the entry gate to Torbryan. That's a turning circle for the very sharp right hand turn to Torbryan hamlet (see the hard copy guidebooks and UKC crag log book etc). 

In reply to Cusco:

Thanks, one to avoid on a sunny day then! Ah yeah I read that about not parking in the turning circle, definitely wont do that!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...