UKC

Apartment rental - Alps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mcawle 09 Jul 2021

Hi,

I’m toying with the idea of heading to the Alps for an extended period, let’s say 8 weeks from start of Aug - end of Sept, Covid permitting etc. (I know huts and lifts close around mid September usually.)

I’ve never gone out for so long and previously have camped in the valley (which remains an option).

However this time I will be working remotely on and off through that period, and so the idea of having a more comfortable and internet connected place to stay is tempting.

I’m just wondering if people here have experience with trips like this and where they look (I.e. websites, accommodation providers) for longer term rental apartments.

I’ll have a car and I’m open minded about location. Cham and the surrounds are obvious choices but I will likely be travelling to other areas as well such as Arolla, Saas Fee and so doesn’t have to be there.

Just looking for any personal experiences or tips as I kick the tyres.

Post edited at 00:00
In reply to mcawle:

try looking for smaller companies who just rent their own apartments and ask them about a discount for long term rentals. A lot of the ones near me offer it, a bonus is you are looking to go into September which is normally quiet time.

The other option is to look for a co living space designed for people who can travel and work - this is a local one to me https://cloudcitadel.co but I am guess they are ones all over that alps? 

cheers

OP mcawle 10 Jul 2021
In reply to ecrinscollective:

Hi,

That’s really useful! Thank you! I’ve been in touch with Cloud Citadel and it looks like a great option.

Juggling a few things, how are the snow conditions into September? I’ve never been to the Ecrin but my understanding is that generally speaking the snow routes are best early season. If I ended up there in Sept would I be looking at more climbing/rock routes? Need to do some research and get my head around the place…

In reply to mcawle:

September In the Ecrins is all about the rock, most snow lines have gone. September is my favourite time to climb, the weather is normally very good warm but not to hot, and the busy summer tourist have gone. it great for a mix of single pitch, multi pitch and alpine rock routes. Its worth getting you head round the area as it can be spaced out, Briancon is about 40 mins from Ailefroide and the same from la Grave so lots of options and you have the Cerces to the north, with lots of crags in between. have a look on line at routes and other logistic etc and if you have question feel free to drop me a line.

cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...