UKC

Ben Nevis summit snow?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tony the Blade 25 May 2018

Good afternoon,

Some of my wife's colleagues are attempting the N3P challenge next weekend (I signposted them to the BMC discussions and they chose to go ahead with it), they are a mixed bunch of super-fit and super-fat and I must admit I doubt they'll all get up the Tourist Path let alone do all three - hey-ho, at least they're out there trying.

I have seen conflicting snow reports on the Ben Nevis plateau so just thought I'd ask if anyone has been up there recently and could comment on snow levels etc. I'm guessing (from my office) that it's ok up to the zig-zags then gets snow/slush mix?*

Many thanks in advance, Tony

*This info is merely for personal use/knowledge. I assume but couldn't clarify, that they have employed a guide anyway.

girlymonkey 25 May 2018
In reply to Tony the Blade:

Was up in approach shoes yesterday.

The usual early season  snow patches are a little bigger than usual, but not enormous. Plateau has a covering of around 30cm depth. 

All totally fine for me in approach shoes. I uses poles on the snow. If fitness doesn't hold them back then neither will the snow

AlH 25 May 2018
In reply to Tony the Blade:

Agree with girly. I did Tower Ridge in approach shoes and crossed the plateau in some soft snow but with dry feet. Its limited and on the easy sections and would really only be a problem if you cut the corners over the cornices on Tower Gully and Gardyloo Gully- more likely in poor vis. 

Yesterday I saw trainers galore and even a pair of rigger boots with steel toe caps!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...