UKC

Best crags near calp for easier routes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wookie667 14 Feb 2019

Hi I am off to Costa Blanca and staying near calp with my partner and her friend both not climbed outside much. Just wondering if people could recommend some crags good for lower grades. 

Thanks

Mark Eddy 14 Feb 2019
In reply to wookie667:

You're nearest will be Toix and there's plenty to go at there. Toix far Oeste has loads of easier routes, quite a few newish ones too.

Font d'Axia also good for low/mid-grade routes. Lovely setting too.

Murla has a lot of short routes from 3 upwards. Some feel tough for their grade but all are short. Generally quieter than nearby Alcalali (the easier routes at Alcalali tend to be busy)

Vall de Gulabdar (Echo valley) 1.5 lower and upper are worth visiting too.

HTH

Mark 

Mike-W-99 14 Feb 2019
In reply to wookie667:

Olta might be worth a look as well? 

In reply to wookie667:

Sierra de Toix has lots of good, easy routes as wookie67 has suggested. I was there a couple of weeks ago with my friend who had only climbed outside twice before the trip and we ended up climbing the penon on the route Vía Pany (5a). We did spent most of the time at Sierra de Toix. You’ll have a great time!

In reply to wookie667:

Good suggestions mentioned above but avoid Alcoi which is the most undergraded venue in the area ! Good climbing though .......

David Mora 15 Feb 2019
In reply to wookie667:

Like the other coments, you have La Balsa, in Echo Valey (and Echo 1.5), La verinosa Sector (topos in Orange House), Toix beginners sector (topos in www.montana-mediterranea.com, croquis section). Oltá, up the train station in Calpe (national road, 20 min walking from the camp site in Oltà). Guadalest beginners sectors.

Hope you will enjoy.

David Mora

Mountain Guide

www.montana-mediterranea.com

Gabe Oliver 15 Feb 2019
In reply to wookie667:

Slightly further afield but have a look at Reconco down towards Alicante. Amazing rock and position. Tonnes of 3* routes around 5+/6a

kipper12 15 Feb 2019
In reply to Mark Eddy:

A quick,hijack, if I may.  We are heading that way in mid April.  We will be armed with the 2013 guidebook.  Where do we get info on the new lines?

cheers

Mike-W-99 15 Feb 2019
In reply to Gabe Oliver:

> Slightly further afield but have a look at Reconco down towards Alicante. Amazing rock and position. Tonnes of 3* routes around 5+/6a

I thought they were great routes although rather stiffly graded. Then again it was a tad chilly up there something the guidebook fails to mention. Don't go when the wind is from the north, its higher up then you realise!

Mark Eddy 16 Feb 2019
In reply to kipper12:

The newer routes at Toix have their names painted at the base. Many are also now included in the UKC logbooks.

A couple of nice ones there are: Calpe Grooves and Benidorm Boogie. Well bolted and nice clean rock 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...