UKC

Cambridge climbing walls

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mat S 16 Apr 2021

Hi there, I am in Cambridge quite regularly to see my partner and was wondering which indoor wall people would recommend. The choice seems to be:

https://rainbowrocket.cc/

or

https://www.kelseykerridge.co.uk/sports-centre/climbing-wall/

Or is there anywhere better?

I am from Milton Keynes, so am somewhat spoilt by having 2 Big Rock centres on my doorstep - there doesn't seem to be anything equivalent in Cambridge or am I missing something?

Any help much appreciated.

Paul Baxter 16 Apr 2021
In reply to Mat S:

Sadly, as Cambridge based climbers know, the closest roped climbing wall to Cambridge is Milton Keynes (ignoring one or two tiny places like Stowmarket or occasional use of school sports halls with 6 routes that never change), or possibly Harlow if you're on the south side of the city. Both are ~1 hours drive away...

Any help much appreciated

OP Mat S 16 Apr 2021
In reply to Paul Baxter:

Thanks Paul - disappointing but sounds like there is a business opportunity (COVID notwithstanding!) for a decent wall to be developed in Cambridge.

mrjonathanr 16 Apr 2021
In reply to Mat S:

I have been to KK a fair few times over the years, RR just once, a year or two back, it might be set differently now, I wouldn't know.

RR is more spacious, had loads of easy to moderate problems. Pleasant. Probably better ventilated of the two.

KK is less extensive, but has one properly steep wall with harder problems. 

So it depends on what you are looking for. KK is better for training if you climb >V7, but it's hard to compare having only visited RR once. Next time in Cam I will go to KK.

Post edited at 15:35
 Alex1 16 Apr 2021
In reply to Mat S:

There are two perfectly decent bouldering options (no one is going to build a roped wall in Cambridge as you would never find the space at an acceptable cost)

KK - small (but modern-ish) wall in a leisure centre probably still suffers from a lack of regular setting but well worth a visit. Weird wall design.

RR - modern style bouldering wall (but quite small), was good when I visited although lacks steep bouldering.  This is made up for by the fact is has a proper 45 degree woody so I would disagree with the poster above and say its better for training. 

I'd visit both but RR is the better wall

Ramblin dave 16 Apr 2021
In reply to Mat S:

They're both good walls, as far as small bouldering walls go. RR is run by climbers, and has more of a light and airy modern climbing wall atmosphere. KK is part of a general council sports centre and has an unfortunate habit of playing Kiss FM the whole time (because they've only got one audio system for the whole centre and the gym bunnies gotta have their EDM), but it's also a lot cheaper. I'd say try both and see which you like.

mrjonathanr 16 Apr 2021
In reply to Alex1:

> RR - modern style bouldering wall (but quite small), was good when I visited although lacks steep bouldering.  This is made up for by the fact is has a proper 45 degree woody so I would disagree with the poster above and say its better for training. 

So it has a 45* now? You are more up to date than me. Worth revisiting then.

Suncream 16 Apr 2021
In reply to mrjonathanr:

There is a tension board. But they did also recently remodel one corner so there is slightly more steep bouldering

OP Mat S 16 Apr 2021

Thanks for your thoughts everyone - much appreciated for your posts.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...