UKC

Campervan Wasdale Head

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mattbell 14 Apr 2019

Heading up to the lakes next weekend (with the rest of the world).  Campsites are full.  Anyone got any experience if parking a van near Wasdale overnight in recent times?

Wainers44 14 Apr 2019
In reply to mattbell:

Have you tried the YHAs? You can park/camp at some of those and use their facilities at a reasonable cost.

We have never overnight parked along the lake in the van but it all looks a bit public for my liking? 

SouthernSteve 14 Apr 2019
In reply to Wainers44:

I would look for a more discrete destination perhaps at the end of Ennerdale - did you have a particular  crag in mind? But, I have a worry that if we park our vans all over the Lakes eventually someone will get fed up and ban roadside camping which would be grim for those quick decision trips out of season. Some of the pubs just outside the high Lakes would be a good bet I suspect. 

Wainers44 14 Apr 2019
In reply to SouthernSteve:

Not sure why you replied to me? I was suggesting the YHAs and saying the lake shore was a bit public for my liking.

Wasdale isnt a place I personally consider suitable for a non campsite overnight for the van. But then I am a bit cautious up there and only free camp rarely, and in a very quiet place well away from the main Nat Park (and 30+miles from Wasdale!).

SouthernSteve 14 Apr 2019
In reply to Wainers44:

Sorry Wainers44 - random replying. I do agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment of your second post!

Mark Eddy 14 Apr 2019
In reply to mattbell:

It's discouraged in Wasdale, although plenty still do it. As has been mentioned, it's all pretty public anyway, and at a weekend there will now be some overnight traffic as the 3 peaks season begins.

The YHA idea sounds good, and if wanting to be in Wasdale there's a cracking YHA there, lakeshore.

There has been a big increase in roadside / lay-by camping around here in recent years. Even during April some car parks are almost full of vans parked up for the night. Same goes for the lay-bys. I suspect if it keeps getting busier the park authorities will have a clampdown of some description.  

melocoton 14 Apr 2019
In reply to mattbell:

Loads of people, us included, sleep in camper vans on the green just before the pub and official campsite. There are public toilets just behind the pub. We have also slept in the lay-bys by the lake (it’s quite easy to miss the “no overnight camping “ signs in the dark!)

Wainers44 15 Apr 2019
In reply to melocoton:

You clearly know where the toilets are so you arent responsible for the let's say debris left after too many vans stay in a place like that. Patches of white where teeth cleaning water is spat on the grass is a particular favorite, not. 

Spots like Wasdale being over used will end up with the NP properly enforcing the bans which already exist. Out of interest why do you stop there? Dont want to pay for a site, arrive too late etc? 

Dark-Cloud 15 Apr 2019
In reply to Wainers44:

The NP have started moving people from the East side of Coniston on a few occasions, its only a matter of time before Wasdale is targeted.

I love the Wasdale valley as my parents are from that area so spent many a childhood holiday around the valley but its a no go area for me in full tourist and more so 3P season now after a horrific experience last year (see my thread on the subject if you can be bothered)

I would suggest wild van camping should be avoided on the shore and around Wasdale Head especially in respect of the residents and business owners if nothing else.

Dave Rumney 15 Apr 2019
In reply to mattbell:

NT have small "no overnight camping" signs in many of the laybys by the lake.

Have you tried the campsite in Nether Wasdale? 2 good pubs there.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...