UKC

Cannot remember name of a crag in the Dolomites, help!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Godwin 15 May 2023

Can anyone help please, I have forgotten the name of a crag in the Dolomites.
My recollection was that it is to the south of the Falzareggo and West of Cortina.
After parked we dropped slightly down off the road and it was a pleasant levels walk in for about an hour, and then we crossed a river and headed uphill for a short while. 
The very bottom of the route had held some snow, in fact the routes started from what I would describe as inside a bergshrund.
The route we did had to alternate starts.
It was VS +ish. There was another route next to ours which was marginally easier, maybe VS-
From the top you could look down into a valley behind that mountain, and there was a small lake surrounded by pasture, with what looked to be a Refuggio next to it.
The descent IIRC was at first a bit awkward across some scree, but then you dropped into a huge scree gully that seemed to go on for ever, maybe an hour or more, nothing technical, but as there was two teams of two we had to keep together as if anyone got to far ahead, the risk of kicking something down on them was very real and it went on for ages.
I have been trawling the crag maps and the guidebook for ages, but cannot find it.
Can anyone help please.

Martin Bennett 15 May 2023
In reply to Godwin:

I think you might be thinking of The Via Dallago on Cima Cason di Formin, although the approach is from the road up to Passo Giau which is South of the one from Cortina to Passo Falzarego. The approach does as you say descend through woods to cross a stream then up a good path before breaking off steeply to the foot of the route, which does indeed have two starts and from the top you look down the other side to Rifugio Croda da Lago and a small lake but I don't recall the long long scree descent so maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree, or you descended a different way?

North West Corner ("Dallago") (IV+)

Post edited at 21:05
OP Godwin 15 May 2023
In reply to Martin Bennett:

I think thats the one, I also remember high on the route, placing gear, only to find that as I pulled over a ledge, finding fixed gear in the shape of a loop of Aramid cord that had been blown by the wind out of sight. 
Thanks Martin should have just phoned you.
[EDIT] Yes found it in the Kohler guide, definitely the one. 

Post edited at 21:47
 Michael Hood 16 May 2023
In reply to Godwin:

The collective mind of UKC shows its worth again 👍

Martin Bennett 16 May 2023
In reply to Godwin:

> Thanks Martin should have just phoned you.

> [EDIT] Yes found it in the Kohler guide, definitely the one. 

Your comment makes me think we must be acquainted but I can't think which Derek you are?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...