UKC

Cavallers guidebook (Spanish Pyrenees)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Gav M 08 Jun 2019

I'm off to the Pyrenees in July for a family holiday and will be staying just down the road from the very pleasant looking granite crags at Cavallers.

I've had a search about on the site and most of the information is quite old.

Has anyone been recently who could recommend a guidebook, or preferably an app guide to the area? 

I'll be climbing with kids so mostly interested in single pitch routes from 3 to 5. I'd also like  to find out about the via ferratas to see if they might be suitable for an small 11 year old.

Cheers

G

Cathy 08 Jun 2019
In reply to Gav M:

The current guidebook is Cavallers Travessani Aigüestortes, by Luis Alfonso. Order it from Desnivel https://www.libreriadesnivel.com/libros/cavallers-travessani-y-aiguestortes.... You aren't going to find much on any of the apps.

The via ferrata El Tossal de Mirabet (Miravet) at Pont de Suert should be fine for your 11 year old. It is in three sections, each part slightly more difficult, and you can escape after each one. So you have options but as long as your kid is not scared by the exposure, they should not have any physical difficulties doing it. https://deandar.com/en/ferratas/via-ferrata-tossal-miravet

Post edited at 17:35
 Rick Sewards 08 Jun 2019
In reply to Cathy

Hi Cathy

Do you know how easy or difficult that guidebook would be to use for a non-Spanish speaker? I am also thinking about this area for a trip later this year, and particularly interested in the trad/ semi-equipped multi-pitch stuff. 

Cheers, Rick

1poundSOCKS 08 Jun 2019
In reply to Gav M:

I had the first edition of this guide when I went, but that was 6 or 7 years ago and I didn't actually climb much. So not much of recommendation, sorry. Although it's lovely area, was nice to just to spend some time there.

http://www.climbonline.co.uk/lleida_climbs.htm

George_Surf 08 Jun 2019
In reply to Gav M:

We went there in march. It's beautiful and the granite is good. Did some nice slabs and an awesome 7b crack. The boulders are nice too. I had the lleida climbs book. 

Mike Shamash 09 Jun 2019
In reply to Gav M:

I have the "Cavallers Traversani Aiguestortes" by Louis Alfonso. Its in Spanish and well laid out - so I think you need only tiny amount of Spanish to understand the guide.  - its the one Cathy linked to - https://www.libreriadesnivel.com/libros/cavallers-travessani-y-aiguestortes...

You can get the book locally in the small town just before you enter the park.

I loved the area - East and West facing so you can avoid/enjoy the sun easily.  Little sport routes / Big routes / short walk in / long walk ins .... whatever you like. 

Cavallers gets busy if there is a heatwave as its the best shady set of crags for miles around

enjoy

Cathy 09 Jun 2019
In reply to Rick Sewards:

It's fine to use without reading Spanish. Like most modern guides, it is based around photos, maps, symbols and topo diagrams. 

Rick Sewards 09 Jun 2019
In reply to Cathy:

Thanks very much Cathy, I'll probably order it in that case

Cheers

Rick

LeeWood 10 Jun 2019

> Do you know how easy or difficult that guidebook would be to use for a non-Spanish speaker? I am also thinking about this area for a trip later this year, and particularly interested in the trad/ semi-equipped multi-pitch stuff. 

The topo is easy to use for single pitch - access, approach and location. However for multipitch you could miss out on details either useful for efficiency or important for safety, without some spanish. How is your french ? The most interesting multipitch routes are all documented on the CampToCamp forum.

The terms for level of equpment are fundamental: desequipada, poco-equipada, semi-equipada, bastante-equipada, casi-equipada and practicamente equipada are all used and take some getting used to - as are the obligatory grades (given in brackets).

Get back to me if you have specific questions.

Rick Sewards 10 Jun 2019
In reply to LeeWood:

Thanks Lee, I think that should be fine - as a coward I like the "obligatory" grade thing - tells me the hardest I'm likely to have to climb above gear! I know a bit of French and have some Spanish speaking friends who might be able to help with things like written descent info for specific routes I like the look of.

Cheers

Rick

Lesdavmor 11 Jun 2019

Guidebook is available in the newsagents "Libreria" in Pont de Suert also in the guide business on the South side

Removed User 11 Jun 2019
In reply to Gav M:

I think Cavallers is also included in Lleida climbs guidebook.

GDes 11 Jun 2019

Pete O'Donovan and Dani Andrada's excellent "Lleida Climbs" also includes Cavallers.  English text and very nice book.

LeeWood 11 Jun 2019
In reply to GDes:

Yes but no multipitch in the 2nd revision. The presentation is indeed excellent but v limited in relation to all those sectors available

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...