UKC

Climbers hangouts in South-Eastern France

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 silhouette 04 Oct 2019

A couple of us want to go to France in a couple of weeks and want to stay somewhere that other climbers hang out (e.g. a bar, including campsite bars as it's just about possible to camp).  Buoux may not work for me because of the sharp pockets with my hand issue;  Ceuse will kill me with the walk in.; Verdon not great for various reasons.  Orpierre could work but really I was hoping to do stuff in Provence such as Toulon, Calanques, Chateauverte, Mont Victoire.  Any ideas?  Obviously I realise actual accommodation is not a problem with loads of out-of-season apartments;  it's the social life.  We don't want cabin fever. Thanks all.

In reply to silhouette:

Not easy to find in my experience. Verdon and Ceuse are the closest, and probably only places I've been that have a 'scene'. Orpierre seems to always be busy and has a climbers' bar. I haven't been to Buis-les-Baronnies, but it might fit the bill. What about Finale?

Iamgregp 04 Oct 2019
In reply to fibonacci moose:

I was going to suggest Finale too, it's not that much further than the French destinations, and is bloody lovely.  Might have to make do with chatting to some Mountain Bikers now and then, but they're ok for the most part!

Funnily enough I went there the first time this year due a suggestion on this forum.

tjekel 05 Oct 2019
In reply to Iamgregp:

Not easy. You might be happy with Bernard Gorgeons gite in Puyloubier for the victoire, the Correns camping for for Chateauvert, or the Gite in St. Jeannet. All of them, however, are not a scene as in many places in Spain, Arco/Italy or Kaly. 

mark catcher 07 Oct 2019
In reply to silhouette: a third vote for Finale; great food, nice bars, sea, mountains, biking, climbing. What's not to like? 

mnanao 07 Oct 2019
In reply to silhouette:

I haven't seen much in the way of climbers towns, but buis is a nice town (I dont know of a climbers hangout though). Orpierre is also nice -- smaller and maybe one of the cafes is a frequented by climbers?

OP silhouette 07 Oct 2019
In reply to silhouette:

Thanks for the suggestions so far all.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...