UKC

Cloggy Conditions Aug 2021

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Planning on heading to Cloggy this weekend but a bit unsure if it'll be in nick...

Never been before and got our eyes on the classics up to about E4 but looks like it's gonna be a bit of a wet week...

Anyone got any local knowledge or should we just look elsewhere??

Cheers..

In reply to Duncan Disorderly:

The guidebook has some good advice about drying times for various routes. 

jcm

In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

Fair enough... My ancient Rock Climbs in Snowdonia guide is sadly missing this but thanks for your input...

Post edited at 21:13
 spenser 10 Aug 2021

Pop me a message and I'll send you a photo of the page JCM is referencing.

Dave Rumney 11 Aug 2021

Looking at the forecast, i think you’ll be very lucky to find it in condition this weekend. 
if you do decide to chance it and the main faces aren’t in condition then try shrike area which faces east ( although the approach gully is terrifying if the grass is wet)

In reply to Dave Rumney:

Thanks Dave... That was my estimation, looks pretty biblical up there today according to the Met Office... 

Shame tho as my mate and I have wanted to go for years and the planets have finally aligned to allow us a full 4 days sans kids or any responsibilities slap bang in the middle of summer! 

Sure we'll find summat to do  

jezb1 11 Aug 2021

Sadly, it’s grim today!

In reply to jezb1:

Booooo! 

Time for a rethink.... 

Cheers for the update..

dominic o 11 Aug 2021

> if you do decide to chance it and the main faces aren’t in condition then try shrike area which faces east ( although the approach gully is terrifying if the grass is wet)

I suspect your Cloggy plans might be doomed for this weekend, but in case you go or for future reference I'd +1 Dave's recommendation of The Pinnacle area. After a wet spell in early June we managed a fairly dry ascent of a combo linking Lithrig into Pinnacle Arete and the Hand Traverse, followed by Shrike

https://rockaroundtheworld.co.uk/2021/06/04/cloggy-2/ 

Top tip to avoid the terrifying gully mentioned by Dave is to rap from the top of Shrike / The Axe rather than approach from below.

Cheers, Dom

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...