UKC

Dartmoor campsite recommendations

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 williemiller 04 Jul 2024

Hi All,

We are heading to Dartmoor in a couple of weeks and looking for a good campsite. Does anyone have any recommendations? Ideally, we would like somewhere dog friendly and a short walk to the pub.

Thanks

Wainers44 04 Jul 2024
In reply to williemiller:

I can offer you an extremely short walk to a pub...

The fox and hounds at Lydford has a great campsite behind it. Plenty of space. The food in the pub is brilliant and the staff are all really really friendly.  Head up the track from the site and you are on the open moor with good paths, tors, rivers for paddling etc. Cross the road in front of the pub and 250m away is the granite way which heads straight to Okey and beyond.  It's a great spot.

Edit to add both campsite and pub dog friendly!

Post edited at 19:49
 TMM 04 Jul 2024

I can offer some options on the other side (the drier side!) of the moor.

The Rugglestone Inn on the edge of Widecombe is charming and offers summer camping. There is also a more dedicated campsite nearby called Cockingford. Very close for access to climbing at Bonehill, Hound Tor and Hay Tor.

Wainers44 05 Jul 2024
In reply to TMM:

So that's the East and the West sorted!!

In the middle you have the campsite behind the plume of feathers in Princetown.  Great location but some mixed reviews at the mo.

Other really nice one, is Huccaby Farm, down by the river, with the Forest Inn not too far!

d_b 05 Jul 2024
In reply to Wainers44:

The Plume of Feathers closed down completely around the time of the pandemic, so presumably it's under new management.  Mixed reviews could be an artefact of this so it's probably worth checking dates

Post edited at 11:11
 Wainers44 05 Jul 2024
In reply to d_b:

No these are new reviews....but stress that I have no personal experience of new owners. 

d_b 05 Jul 2024
In reply to Wainers44:

I haven't been there since it reopened either.  I'm hoping it turns out to be good.

Sean Kelly 05 Jul 2024
In reply to d_b:

> The Plume of Feathers closed down completely around the time of the pandemic, so presumably it's under new management.  Mixed reviews could be an artefact of this so it's probably worth checking dates

Undergoing a complete renovation when I walked past the January just gone by. Isn't it part of the Royal Duchy Estate, so unlikely to be closing down for good. Should be open by now. I'm sure they have a website.

Try https://plumedartmoor.co.uk/

Post edited at 12:55
 scope 05 Jul 2024
In reply to Wainers44:

I've always found the food at the Fox and Hounds pretty naff, unless you like very greasy chips with everything, including breakfast.

If the food at the refurbished Plume isnt what it used to be, the Prince of Wales is a good option. The chef moved there from the Plume when it closed down.

One more campsite to add would be Beardown farm near Two Bridges, however its a longer walk to a pub.

Wainers44 05 Jul 2024
In reply to scope:

Each to their own I suppose.  I've always found it good for what it is...pub grub

Dunthemall 06 Jul 2024

Summerhill Farm Campsite near Ashburton, walking distance to the pub. Nice grass and not too crowded. ANPR to open the entry gate.

petegunn 06 Jul 2024

We've only stayed at the Cockingford Farm campsite but the pubs in Widecombe (The Old Inn and The Rugglestone Inn) would be a 30/40 min walk but 5 mins in the car.

The site is fairly small and is a bit sloped if memory serves but has been quiet on the few times we've stayed there. 

They are nice people and sell fresh milk and eggs etc. Got a free pen with the farm and address on it once! 

Post edited at 20:23
 Wise 06 Jul 2024
In reply to Sean Kelly:

I went there a couple of weeks ago.

Food was average but service good and very friendly.

phizz4 07 Jul 2024

With good facilities, the site at Harford Bridge, just north of Tavistock. Eat at the Peter Tavy Inn, highly recommended.

Dunthemall 09 Jul 2024
In reply to phizz4:

> With good facilities, the site at Harford Bridge, just north of Tavistock. Eat at the Peter Tavy Inn, highly recommended.

Agreed

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...