UKC

Easy Gr 1-2 paddling in Snowdonia now for packrafts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 beardy mike 26 Aug 2021

Hi I'm up in Snowdonia with the family at the moment and we have packrafts with us - we've only just started getting into paddling so hence the lack of knowledge. I'm trying to find info on easy rivers which we are allowed to paddle at the moment without disturbing any access agreements. We have packrafts with us and I've been looking at the up Afon Glaslyn between Llyn Gwynant and Beddgellert but from UK River Guidbook forums, I can't work out whether there is an access agreement for this stretch of the river or whether it's OK to paddle it in low water. The other option I've been looking at is Afon Dysynni but it looks maybe a little long for my 8 year old? But I can't find much info about that one at all, but it seemed possible because we could take the narrow gauge railway up to the top and then return down the river. Any thoughts? Cheers in advance!

ebdon 26 Aug 2021
In reply to beardy mike:

Afraid I cant help with local info (and my limited understanding is that n Wales river access is a nightmare) but if you havnt already checked it out I find the paddlepoints website super useful

https://gopaddling.info/paddlepoints/

Lrunner 26 Aug 2021
In reply to beardy mike:

Acess to the Dysynni is tricky and I think there isn't any access until it becomes tidal at broadwater. Having said that I've put on at bird rock and canoed all the way to twywn. Apart from the where it meets the sea it is a lovely wee trip and never more then grade one (even then barely at all). What small amounts of moving water there is  easily portaged. Once you go under the road and into the reeds feels really wild just make sure you have a tail wind!

TheGeneralist 26 Aug 2021
In reply to beardy mike:

Be interested to know if you find anything.  I've done stacks of white water kayaking, but very little in Wales and no pakrafting.

It's very dry at present. Most UK ww needs recent rain

UK ww is generally very rocky.

Pack rafts don't like rocky.

Lower UK river access laws/situation is hopeless

Fish hooks and pack rafts won't mix well.

Bearing the above in mind, not sure it'll work. But would love to be corrected by someone who knows more.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...