UKC

Family Alpine Hut to Hut trek suggestions.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Iain(2010) 12 Mar 2018

Hi,

I would like to take my family on a 5-7 day Alpine hut to hut trip and am looking for some suggestions please. (UK summer holiday time.)

Kids are 9 and 11, used to long days out walking and scrambling in the Lakes and N.Wales. (Wife in similar category but sometimes less enthusiastic than the kids!).

Looking for a spectacular route with some decent huts and not likely to be too busy.

Any suggestions/advice welcomed.

Thanks,

Iain

Post edited at 21:03
 MG 12 Mar 2018
In reply to Iain(2010):

Suggest Italian alps. Cheaper quieter and more dramatic than anywhere else. Are you OK with simple glacier crossings? Either way, take a look at Refugio Gastaldi and environs, and Refugio Vittorio Sella and environs. Some great stuff around Monte Disgrazia too.

freeheel47 12 Mar 2018
In reply to Iain(2010):

Hi- when are you looking to go? I'm guessing UK summer holidays?

Last summer we walked about half the Tour du Mont Blanc; From Trient-Trelechamps-les Houches-les Contamines-Col de la Croix du Bonhomme-Courmayeur with our 3 kids then 15,13 and 8. This summer we will finish Courmayeur- back probably to Vallorcine. It was great and we carried not much at all (have a look at the post).

Depends what you want- TMB has a mixture of huts and Gites etc- is easy logistics wise as you can book online etc.  It is not 'quiet' although the sections away from Chamonix and Courmayeur were actually quiet!

You could also look at GR5 in the Vanoise.  I'd quite like to try the Dolomites- Cortina- Selva for example. Have a look at the Colletts website for ideas.

Iain(2010) 12 Mar 2018
In reply to freeheel47:

Cheers. Just edited my original post with time of year. Thanks

cb294 13 Mar 2018
In reply to Iain(2010):

I recommend the Rieserferner group, small range just south of the border between Austria and Italy. There is a nice five day round involving a couple of glacier crossings doable with children. Overall elevation is not too high and you can bag a couple of 3k summits. The area is guaranteed to be much quieter than, say, anything in France or Switzerland or even the Zillertal or Hohe Tauern next door.

CB

Scott K 13 Mar 2018
In reply to Iain(2010):

What about the Kungsleden in Sweden. It splits into 7 days with huts at the end of each day. Saunas and a weekend in Copenhagen to keep the wife happy!

Toerag 13 Mar 2018
In reply to Iain(2010):

> Hi,

> I would like to take my family on a 5-7 day Alpine hut to hut trip and am looking for some suggestions please. (UK summer holiday time.)

> Looking for a spectacular route with some decent huts and not likely to be too busy.

I suspect spectacular routes with decent huts will be busy. August is euro holiday time and busy. So expect to experience some busyness!

Countering that though....

Avoid places within easy access of mechanised lifts and motorways at weekends and you'll probably be OK.  Last week of august / 1st week September has been OK in my experience, but I guess that depends on term start dates. Many huts have small family rooms, so if you book ahead (often only a day is enough in the Dolomites) then you'll get one and avoid the main busy hut problem of poor sleep in a big dorm.

3000m summits may well be subject to snow at any time of year - not enjoyable with family if you get caught. Same goes for glaciers/old snow patches unless you have 6 point crampons or better.

Do you want summits? (I expect your kids will!) If so then I'd aim for stuff in the 2-3000m range as you'll be above the treeline and get the views without the issues higher altitudes have.

Do you want Via Ferrata?

I can't advise on 5-7 day treks as I've not done any. See if you can get hold of 'Walking in the alps' by Kev Reynolds as that gives some suggestions and is a good overview. I want to do the Lechtaler Hohenweg, but I don't know how suitable for your needs that is.

Post edited at 13:06
 BobtheBagger 13 Mar 2018
In reply to Iain(2010):

I know you said 'Alpine' but you would have a great time in the Picos de Europa, I took my daughter and her cousin when they were aged about 13 and 15, and we did a great circuit of about the time you're looking for.  Much cheaper and quieter than the Alps.

The following year I took the girls to Germany for a hut to hut in the Allgauer Alps, starting and finishing in Oberstdorf, crossing briefly into Austria and back. There were some easy Via Ferrata to play on, on they way, which the kids enjoyed.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...