UKC

Hegra, Saudi Arabia

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 HakanT 07 Dec 2020

If you're looking for exotic places put up FAs, Saudi Arabia may be the place for you:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/hegra-ancient-city-saudi-arabia-untou...

Not sure about the local ethics, but there is the risk of receiving thirty lashes for hanging on the rope. Rock looks cool though.

tjekel 07 Dec 2020
In reply to HakanT:

As cheap as scaling buckingham palace, probably. 

steve taylor 08 Dec 2020
In reply to HakanT:

Hegra???? I've never heard anyone call it that and I've lived here for 8 years. It's always been Madan Salah.

There is some decent climbing in Saudi now though, thanks to the efforts of Read Macadam and friends. Jeddah has As Sharaf and there is Tanomah in the south.

Iamgregp 08 Dec 2020
In reply to steve taylor:

Some new routes have been put up at Neom as well?  I think they're really wanting to push it as a climbing destination in the future....

tehmarks 08 Dec 2020
In reply to Iamgregp:

I was up that end of the country for work last year. It's a beautiful part of the country — very sparse and quiet, lovely people. I could see it making a great destination for those wanting some tranquility and some adventure.

Not a very planet-friendly place to get to, mind.

jcw 09 Dec 2020
In reply to steve taylor:

well it is the ancient and alternative name for M S, al-Hijr. I Too have been there with a Riyad University conference visit back around 1977 when it was otherwise completely closed to foreigners.

Dell 09 Dec 2020
In reply to HakanT:

I won't beheading there any time soon. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...