UKC

Hell Gill near Hawes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Joint 29 Jul 2019

Anyone know how quickly water levels in Hell Gill respond to rainfall? Does it drop quickly after all weekend rain or rise quickly with rain forecast for tomorrow afternoon?!

Route Adjuster 29 Jul 2019
In reply to Joint:

Been there many times, at all times of year and never found it unpassable. 

OP Joint 30 Jul 2019
In reply to Route Adjuster:

Thanks for the advice. Had a great trip down there with the kids today!

Anyone know why I have a Red 1 next to my number of replies?

petegunn 30 Jul 2019
In reply to Joint:

The red 1 tells you that 1 person (route adjuster) has replied directly to your post.

So you should have 2 now.

Others may add to your post but if they reply to others rather than yours, the number won't change.

Post edited at 20:40
OP Joint 30 Jul 2019
In reply to petegunn:

Thanks! I’d never noticed that before. Is it a new(ish) feature?

Route Adjuster 30 Jul 2019
In reply to Joint:

Good to hear you had a good trip,  fantastic hidden gem,  kids love it.  Was the rope in good order in the plunge pool? 

OP Joint 31 Jul 2019
In reply to Route Adjuster:

It is a hidden gem! I live in Yorkshire and have caved a lot in The Dales but never knew of it's existence until recently. Rope looked ok, but we all jumped so didn't test it out.

Route Adjuster 31 Jul 2019
In reply to Joint:

Rope comes in very handy (essential) when going up the canyon - you have to drag yourself feet first up the waterfall, hand over hand on the rope - great fun.

John Kettle 31 Jul 2019
In reply to Joint:

It does flash flood like the local caves after heavy rain. I've found it impassable twice (in 15 years of visits) and an experienced local instructor has been trapped midway down (just above the plunge pool) with a group when it flash flooded from a rainstorm further up the hill. Luckily they got everyone high up one side and it dropped again after an hour or so..

Lankyman 31 Jul 2019
In reply to John Kettle:

Had an interesting time there back in the 80's before bolts and rope appeared. I was in my old caving wetsuit and jumped into the plunge pool. I sank right to the bottom and had a real struggle to get back to the surface. Afterwards we reckoned it was the lack of buoyancy in the frothy aerated water. Some of the caves around Mallerstang are quite entertaining in a grim kind of way.

OP Joint 31 Jul 2019
In reply to John Kettle:

I'm glad we weren't in there yesterday afternoon!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...