UKC

Kilimanjaro - expensive?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AFrostyBite 08 Feb 2023

So I have been quoted £3070 (3700 US Dollars) for a 7 day Kilimanjaro trip (including return flight from the UK, 2 days hotel and 5 days camping - with the usual - porters, guide, food). 

I have researched and Kilimanjaro is obviously a bit of a "tourist mountain" - as is to be expected from the easiest 7 summits peak. The word is that there really is not a viable way of doing this solo on much of a budget due to the rules of having to employ a guide anyway (and of course the porter required for the tents etc.  and the given that any guide would of course not be helping to carry anything).

Having said that my quote seems a bit of an extreme price. What do others think? 

Can anyone recommend a tour company or better way of doing the mountain peak?

Thanks.

dunc56 08 Feb 2023
In reply to AFrostyBite:

Do it in your pants. You'll be fine.

Lankyman 08 Feb 2023
In reply to AFrostyBite:

Pay up and support the locals. You can guide yourself up Mount Snowdon for free.

rockcatch 08 Feb 2023
In reply to AFrostyBite:

A friend of mine runs trips like this and his cost approx £2500 excluding flights, so the cost of yours is probably comparable. https://www.aspire-adventures.com/products/kilimanjaro/2023-06-10

GDes 08 Feb 2023
In reply to AFrostyBite:

What sort of price did you think would be reasonable? That sounds about right for that sort of thing. 

abr1966 08 Feb 2023
In reply to AFrostyBite:

I'd say that's about right....I've never been but my son went when he was 18, I think the final day is a tough one but otherwise ok! He's still   in touch with some of the local porters by email and Facebook etc....some tough guys on that hill grafting day after day!

OP AFrostyBite 08 Feb 2023
In reply to abr1966:

Sure. But I guess they are pretty fit by now and breeze up there. 

abr1966 08 Feb 2023
In reply to AFrostyBite:

Not sure anything at 19000 feet is a breeze!!

Pedro50 08 Feb 2023
In reply to AFrostyBite:

Your schedule seems short with regard to recommended acclimatisation protocols. Good luck.

In reply to Pedro50:

According to the tours I have seen all of the schedules for the different routes seem to be 6-7 days. 

druss 08 Feb 2023
In reply to AFrostyBite:

Troll. Single post.

Post edited at 20:05
In reply to abr1966:

If one is doing it every week or so it probably is.

In reply to Lankyman:

Sure, but most of the money is probably not going to the locals as it is a foreign tour company.

In effect if possible I would go direct to Moshi and pay a local company direct (though not sure if this is possible).

The small print states that the company that gave me the quote have an agreement that 250USD should be paid to the porters (by climbers)in a brown envelope (I kid you not) which seems more than a bit cheeky.

Post edited at 21:34
 ExiledScot 09 Feb 2023
In reply to AFrostyBite:

I'm guessing it's the Coca cola route, semi catered cabin and dormitories (not free), portered bags, etc... the workers on your trip won't be paid much compared to the two 'guides' who will go with your group, 250 cash shared between them isn't a big tip. They'll be up before you sorting breakfast and cleaning up afterwards in the evening, then carrying all your stuff over taking you going up the trail, to prep ahead of you.

Lemosho route is way better, longer walk, better acclimatised etc.. but none are quiet, it's a honey pot for easy altitude tickers, aspirant 7 summit dreamers, charity walkers... 

If you don't like the price, the set up etc.. go climb Mount Kenya instead for the African experience, which is a little unique, setting off on foot from African plains, through the jungle, then reaching high altitude. 

ExiledScot 09 Feb 2023
In reply to Pedro50:

> Your schedule seems short with regard to recommended acclimatisation protocols. Good luck.

The only thing preventing more deaths on kill is the fact it's non technical and the climate, people are up and down quickly without hold ups. Plus they have MacInnes type wheeled stretchers which they literally run casualties down the path with to lower altitudes if they have problems.

timjones 09 Feb 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

Supporting the locals is laudable, but I wonder how much goes to the locals and how much goes to non-local tour operators?

Robert Durran 09 Feb 2023
In reply to Pedro50:

> Your schedule seems short with regard to recommended acclimatisation protocols. Good luck.

That was my first thought. Just inviting sickness and/or failure.

Tobes 09 Feb 2023
In reply to AFrostyBite:

fly into Dar es Salaam then bus to either Moshi or Arusha and sort out a guide and porters once in country. Did all that before proper internet and facebook groups so should be piss to sort out most things now before you go. Safari Njeema 

Personally I'd give Kili a swerve and do Mt Meru (which can be done without a guide) but nicer to support local community and have some company ; )  

OP AFrostyBite 13 Feb 2023
In reply to Pedro50:

Yes. According to the recommended acclimatisation procedure of climbing high sleeping low. It seems that 6-7 days for the height of Kilimanjaro could be a recipe for failure. 

Unfortunately it was the only trip I could find that sets off before the rainy season starts (mid March) and I do not want to wait until June (as it is more than likely I will not be free then).  I am ready to go asap.

Post edited at 15:26
OP AFrostyBite 13 Feb 2023
In reply to Tobes:

I have heard that advice before. I suspect there are many mountains that are better to go up than the usual suspects.

However if my plan to to do a 7th summit then of course it has to be that particular mountain (Kilimajaro in this case). 

Elbrus (Europe's highest peak) was the other mountain on my radar - for this summer 2023 - (but with what is happening in Russia I am not sure if I will be able to sort that out any time soon-ish or at all - hence I am currently in kind of in a "Kili or bust situation")

Post edited at 15:57

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...