UKC

Lakes wind!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mike Conlon 27 May 2022

Heading over to Lakes across A66 and concerned at strength of wind. Was going to head to Gimmer but wondering if Borrowdale might be a better bet. Any local information would be appreciated.

plyometrics 27 May 2022
In reply to Mike Conlon:

In Kendal and it’s pretty breezy with north westerlies right now. Suspect if you picked a sheltered crag you’d be fine though. 

In reply to Mike Conlon:

Yes it is cold and windy, great pub weather. I wouldn't climb in this.

You would need a very low level sheltered venue.

DC

Mark Eddy 27 May 2022
In reply to Mike Conlon:

It's been freezing today. But that's mostly due to the strong winds and they are due to subside significantly by tomorrow. Gimmer is optimistic, maybe start with Raven ODG and see how it feels, keep heading up if winds are light. Due to be a northerly so quite possible for Gimmer to be sheltered. 

Dave Hewitt 27 May 2022
In reply to Mike Conlon:

Windy and chilly in central Scotland too, both yesterday and today - seems to have been windier than forecast. Today's been dry here in Stirling but yesterday had showers - I was getting knocked about sideways at 600m and was very glad that a plan to be above 900m had been postponed. Saturday's meant to be calmer, but still quite chilly.

In reply to Mark Eddy:

There has been an active north-south jet stream today and the models say this will continue through to Sunday although less strong.

Of course the sun is warm, but air is cold, we are about 10 deg C below "normal" and have been for some considerable time (like all of April and May).

I hope it does not turn out to be another boreal summer like 2015. Certainly today here at 900 ft near Keswick, it was unpleasantly cold and windy on my patch.

DC

mike123 27 May 2022
In reply to Dave Cumberland:

Just walked the dog around crumoch wearing a down jacket without a hood and regretted not digging a hat out . Id normally be in shorts and a t shirt at this time of year  . That wind is biting . Sheltered from the wind In the pub  though 

wercat 11 Jun 2022
In reply to Mike Conlon:

still pretty windy here, no letup

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...