UKC

Latest info on Hampi?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Godwin 28 Jan 2023

Anyone been to Hampi recently, there was talk of the Bizarre being demolished, any information on where the climbing is centred now?

CurlyStevo 29 Jan 2023
In reply to Godwin:

It appears hampi island has been demolished which was the closest place to stay to the bouldering nad used to have a well known climbers place operating from there. The other side of the river at the Bizarre was partially demolished many years previously but it appears there is still an area of guest houses there. Hampi island was far more idyllic though. There is a rudimentary boat crossing (was an oracle when I did it). There is so many boulders in the area over many km I imagine the main thrust of the bouldering has just moved to a more convenient location fairly close by as holidaying and staying at the bizaare would not be nearly as nice IMO.

Post edited at 22:06
OP Godwin 30 Jan 2023
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Thanks, surprised how little recent info there is, I know someone was posting on here a month or so ago asking for information.

I will be there myself in a few days, for the Archaeology, but if the bouldering looks OK I may partake.

In reply to Godwin:

I've attached a (very) basic map of where the new spots are popping up.

Marked in red are the old and new Goan Corners. Top one is the new one.

Hanumanahalli in green is another spot where climbers are staying. For those who have been before, that's where the Baba Cafe boulder is.

Climbers also stay at Maya and Venkatesh Homestay which is circled in blue.

It looks like the climbing is shifting along the 130 main road on the other side of Hampi. Lots of first ascents to go at!

OP Godwin 30 Jan 2023
In reply to Nick Brown - UKC:

Thanks Nick 

OP Godwin 04 Feb 2023
In reply to Nick Brown - UKC:

In Hampi now.

An amazing place, far too warm for me to climb, but I have never seen as many boulders in my life, I will be researching the geology of the area when I get home.

After seeing an overview of the area from an Archaeological perspective, I can understand why the Bazar is being moved, it would be like someone constructing a village at Stonehenge. But can also see how upsetting it is for the residents.

As a place of Historical interest, I would suggest it rivals Luxor and the Valley of the Kings, and any visiting climbers should give at least a day to this aspect of the area.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...