UKC

Mallorca - Non Climbing Recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BTphonehome 30 Apr 2023

Hi All.

Four of us heading out to Mallorca for a week in October to celebrate Mum's 70th. My sister and my partner make up the four. Looking for any recommendations for interesting things to do and places to base ourselves.

We'll have a car but ideally would like a location that allows two of us to take the car, yet still has things accessible from the accommodation on foot/public transport.

I've had two climbing trips to the island, staying in Palma, Caimari, Alcudia and Soller so have an idea of these places and generally getting around.

Mum's walking is limited to fairly flat and up to 2-3 miles but still enjoys getting out so grateful any recommended short, scenic walks or beaches with amenable approaches. We're open to pretty much anything between us - museums, attractions, restaurants, cafes, markets, etc.

Bonus points for suggestions that involve a crag drop off, near-by recommendation and crag pick up!

Thanks in advance.

JimHolmes69 30 Apr 2023
In reply to BTphonehome:

A walk down the Boquer Vallry near to Pollenca.

Flat and scenic.

muppetfilter 30 Apr 2023
In reply to BTphonehome:

Sa Calobra is an astounding drive down and up and despite a short steep walk down from the parking the walk through the caves to the beach is stunning and there's DWS there.

Lankyman 30 Apr 2023
In reply to BTphonehome:

I've visited Mallorca quite a few times climbing, walking and, the last time with my Mum. Places we went to included Sant Elm at the western tip where you could also get a boat to Dragonera. The monastery at Lluc is good and there's a short circuit walk nearby with nice views of the Puig Roig. The show cave at Campanet is worthwhile (as are the more touristy Drach cavea). If your Mum doesn't mind a little roughness then the caves at Portals Vells just south of Magalluf are interesting. They're quarries where the stone for Palma cathedral was obtained. A lot of the small towns are very pleasant just to visit and have a coffee like Valldemosa, Calvia and Puigpunyent. We also visited the villa at Son Marroig near Deia which has great views along the north coast.

Pedro50 30 Apr 2023
In reply to BTphonehome:

Valldemosa is my favoured place for a day out, culture, art gallery, nice shops, Chopin attraction. 

Forest Dump 30 Apr 2023
In reply to BTphonehome:

Friday mornings to lunch time at the main Palma Market. Everyone there ordering fresh seafood tapas from the fishmongers (oysters, clams, prawns etc etc) and swilling them down with their boozy beverags of choice, by the glass or bottle. It's a bit noisy & chaotic with the the rest of the market activity going on around you but it's hands down one of best boozy brunchs/lunches I've had!!! No doubt you'd get spoiled rotten if you let it be known it was your mums 70th

The narrow gauge mountain train from Palma to Soller is also decent

OP BTphonehome 30 Apr 2023
In reply to BTphonehome:

Thanks for the replies all. Exactly what we were after.

Forest - you obviously know me and my family very well with that fish market suggestion!

Cheers everyone 👍 

Forest Dump 30 Apr 2023
In reply to BTphonehome:

My Mrs still goes on about it years later! Probably wise to schedule a siesta afterwards

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...